Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I had a D&C on 31st Dec after 13weeks pregnancy - missed miscarriage

Customer Question

I had a D&C on 31st Dec after 13weeks pregnancy - missed miscarriage , development stopped after 9 weeks but bleeding occurred after 13 weeks. I have still had no period 2 months later although in last month have had bloating, headaches, lethargy ( usual signs of period) - doctor has said it is usual for periods to resume after 4-6 weeks after D&C but this differs and should wait. I am 39, this was first miscarriage. Partner and I wanted to get pregnant and I fell after 3 months off pill. Please advise -my doctor is difficult to get an appointment with and it is difficult to get an answer or action from them - should I push the issue or is this length of time common?
Thank you for your help
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA.

8 weeks is not uncommon. I would let my patients know that 6 weeks is about normal.

I would advise that you do a home pregnancy test. It should be negative by now. One issue that may delay your period is retention of placental tissue.

In addition there is the possibility of a new pregnancy so it is important, if you have had unprotected sex to determine whether or not this is a possibility.

You can easily pick up a home test, a digital one is the easiest, and do it at home. Let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have performed pregnancy test - which is negative - you mention 6 weeks is the norm (which I what my doctor keeps saying) but whatr about over 8 weeks? Is this normal - what could cause this and should I push the issue with my doctors?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Great that the test was negative,it really rules out serious issues. No I would not push it, just wait for your period. You may make things worse by insisting on a medication to "start" your period. Its not necessary. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regarding the wait - how long should I wait until seeking further medical attention? The other issue is residual placental tissue - I understand this can cause no periods - how can I tell if its this?

All info appreciated

many thanks

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
It is not retained tissue if the pregnancy test is negative. I would wait a full 3 months, its not harmful. If no period, then go in for bloodwork, hormone levels and thyroid. I bet your period will come soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regarding the wait time for period - is this an indication of any issues with getting pregnant a further time - will this mean it will be more difficult next time? As said before came off pill and fell pregnant within 3 months - will the procedure (D&C) and length of time before first period after D&C affect chances?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
No, it is not an indication of future fertility. And no the D and C does not change your fertiltiy unless there were complications or infection. Unfortunately your age is not on your side. Fertility declines rapidly at age 35 and more so past 40. Risk of miscarriage is about 50/50 at age 40 with each pregnancy. :(
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your payment. Come back any time if you need more help.