Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

13 year old thick uterine lining and pain from ovary

Customer Question

My daughter was admitted into hospital with what they initially thought was acute appendicitis however after doing an ultrasound and her pain improving we were told the pain was caused by one of her ovaries slightly rupturing when an egg was released and this would reoccur every month. My daughter has an extremely high pain threshold and she was screaming in pain. I was told there was nothing they could do but I can not believe that she should have to go through this every month. Also concerning was the fact that her uterine lining was 2cm thick 12 days into her cycle. The ultrasound tech said she had never seen this in a 13 year old before which concerned me so I googled it and was very upset by the results. The paediatric surgeon who saw her for possible appendicitis wasn't concerned but everything I read did not correspond. It felt like as it wasn't appendicitis the surgeon really wasn't interested Do I need to get a second opinion and is 2cmthick uterine lining in a 13 yr old 12 days into her cycle cause for concern? Also is there anything they can do for her pain and will this cause her fertility issues? Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

It sounds like you had a very bad hospital experience and some misinformation. I am sorry.

A diagnosis of a ruptured ovarian cyst is a diagnosis of exclusion. That means more serious conditions such as appendicitis and kidney stone for example are first ruled out; If nothing serious is found,we assume the severe pain is from rupture of a large cyst that has release blood and fluid into the abdominal cavity. Sometimes fluid and the remants of a cyst can be seen on ultrasound.

This is NOT something that should occur every month. It may occur sporadically or never again. If it becomes a problem, a low dose birth control pill can safely be used in a 13 year old.

A 2 cm endometrial stripe is not necessarily abnormal. A 13 year old would not have cancer of the uterus or really any other issue. Theres not even any indication for even measuring the stripe in a 13 year old. I would not worry about that at all.

Please let me know if you have questions.