Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

My friend is 2 weeks late, pregnancy test postive, can she

Customer Question

My friend is 2 weeks late, pregnancy test postive, can she take Provera or Pometrium to in duce her period??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry your friend is in this spot. No she cannot take Provera or Prometrium to induce a period. In fact progesterone is used to support and maintain a first trimester pregancy.

She is eligible if she is only 2 weeks late for a medical termination of pregnancy which is done with medication only. This can be done up to 9 weeks of pregnancy at most centers.

Medical termination of pregnancy is done with a combination of medications and under a Drs supervision. It is 97% effective and is safe for most women.

You can self refer yourself for an NHS funded pregnancy termination using the below links.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, let me know if you still have questions.

Progesterone is only effective in starting a period in a patient who is not pregnant, and who has an estrogen induced uterine lining. It works to begin the shedding process. It is given during pregnancy to help preserve and maintain the pregancy in women who are defiecient in it.

The abortion pill, available in clinics, is actually an antiprogesterone. It works by blocking the progesterone support to an early pregnancy.

Let me know if you need more help.