Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I had a miscarriage a few years ago but had no idea until the

Customer Question

I had a miscarriage a few years ago but had no idea until the 12 wks scan, I had no bleeding or symptoms. I have since had a successful pregnancy & am now expecting again, approx 9 weeks now. Last night I had a sharp abdominal pain which only lasted about 10 seconds but was pretty severe, now I can't stop worrying that was a sign I have miscarried, although I have no bleeding & the pain was a 1 off. Is it possible than one isolated severe pain could be a miscarriage ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 4 years ago.

Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is Dr. C. and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

It's not likely that a short spasm like that was related to a miscarriage. It's much more likely that either a ligament pulled or something related to the normal corpus luteum cyst of pregnancy such as a temporary twist or leak.

Dr. C. :

If you find your self worrying, it would be a good idea to call your doctor and arrange for an ultrasound. If the ultrasound is perfectly normal at 9 weeks, the risk of a miscarriage is extremely low. Usually there are signs earlier on ultrasound of problems even if the miscarriage itself isn't apparent until several weeks later.

Dr. C. :

I hope this is reassuring. Please REPLY if I can provide more details or clarify anything. I'd like to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.