Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

having been put on Vagifem 10 Micrograms, I am now having trouble

Customer Question

having been put on Vagifem 10 Micrograms, I am now having trouble with my waterworks.
Is this a normal side effect. I cannot get to the toilet in time. I am 73 .
Carole Jebson
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Hello carole Jebson,

It's not a normal side effect. In fact, most women will have less urinary urgency or other urinary symptoms when using vaginal estrogen. I would recommend getting checked for a urinary infection, since that could be the cause. Urgency and urgency incontinence are not unusual in 73 year old women, so it could also be due to what is called irritable bladder. If you don't have a urinary infection, and this symptom only began after starting the Vagifem, then it may be worthwhile stopping the Vagifem and see if it gets better. It might take a week for the estrogen effects to be gone. If you're no better in a week, I don't think the Vagifem is the cause.