Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX hope you can help me..my LMP was on

Customer Question

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX hope you can help me..my LMP was on Feb 14th after having a miscarriage in late Dec,we tried to conceive but presumed we'd be unsuccessful as i'd always used to clomid to conceive prior to this. I have been pregnant 4 times and have only one child..2 miscarriages and one ectopic. I have been spotting since the 11th march on and off its very light, my period is 5 days late usually a 30 day cycle but i do have PCOS. I'm just wondering what the cause of this spotting is and if there is a possibility i could be pregnant even though i had a neg home pregnancy test at day 27. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Hello Avril,
Did you have periods after your December miscarriage, and if so, what were the dates of the periods? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr,

My 1st period after my Dec miscarriage was on the 14th of Feb and now i'm just having very light spotting in place of a period..could it be another ectopic pregnancy i'm terrified because, i am having some of the pregnancy symptoms but nothing major and thats the way i was with my ectopic pregnancy.

Since you began spotting before you had missed a period, I don't think pregnancy is very likely. With an ectopic pregnancy, there will usually be a missed period and then spotting will start. So pregnancy is not impossible, but I think it's unlikely. It's more likely that the reason for the spotting is that you didn't ovulate, which is also more likely since you have PCOS. When a woman doesn't ovulate, the uterine lining builds up, and then at some point spotting or bleeding is likely. If you didn't ovulate, that also leads to pregnancy symptoms, since the ovaries keep getting stimulated, which can cause high estrogen levels, which cause most of the symptoms of pregnancy. Since you've had an ectopic pregnancy in the past, it's probably a good idea to see your doctor, just to be certain. If a blood test for hcg is negative, then you know for sure that you're not pregnant (ectopic or otherwise). If your doctor agrees that the spotting is likely due to not ovulating, then he/she can give you a prescription for progesterone pills, which will clear up the spotting. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment.