Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I seem to have a bit of a phobia of things being inserted into

Customer Question

I seem to have a bit of a phobia of things being inserted into my vagina. I don't use tampons, have never had smear tests or sex. I even avoid washing the outside. can u give me some tips on how to overcome this?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is a conditon called vaginismus. Though the not washing the outside does not necessarily go along with it. Its often due to a past problem with rape or sexual abuse. Does this apply to you?

There is also a specific phobia called vaginal penetration aversion or phobia. This may also be a possible diagnosis

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my mum used to scrub me down there until it was red and sore but nothing went on inside.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that is very extreme. I would consider that abusive. This may be the source of your problem. The best treatment of course is counseling. The actual treatment of vaginal penetration aversion is cognitive behavioural therapy. Its a type of counseling that helps you to get used to touching the area in an appropriate way, washing and cleansing, and vaginal penetration. Its a graduated type of therapy that lasts weeks to months. You would be able to benefit from it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there physical things that i can do to become more comfortable with body?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Its easier to see a therapist at least once but you could benefit from some of the exercises done by vaginismus patients. You can also buy a set of vaginal dilators with exercises and use them.

vaginal dilators example

http://www.aaawholesalecompany.com/the-01mv-6075-sm-ea.html

10 step treatment of vaginismus at home

http://www.vaginismus.com/vaginismus-treatment

I hope this helps.