Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

hello, I have a interesting history. I am 26 years old and

Customer Question

hello, I have a interesting history. I am 26 years old and I found I was pregnant with identical twins in March 2012. I then lost a twin at 22 weeks gestation and carried her until I gave birth to the live and healthy twin at 39 weeks. The live twin was born vaginally and the dead twin came away with the placenta. They said the placenta was intact and everything was fine. I went on synto 40/40 after the birth and I had very minimal bleeding. I was fine for 9 days after the birth and then came down with excruciating pain and was rushed into hospital and they found on ultrasound retained product that had a abcess around it. They said the infection was septic. I was in the hospital for a long weekend on IV antibiotics. I had a d+c on Tuesday and felt great afterwards. I then started to have more pain 3 weeks on and they did another scan and found small blood clots in my womb, but nothing significant. I was given another course of oral antibiotics and sent home. the pain did not go away, so the dr performed another d+c and did a laparoscopy and found adhesions. I recovered well from this surgery and didn't have pain! I felt good for about 3 months and then I had a severe bout of pain, so went back to the dr and he did another scan and found nothing apart from multi-cysted ovaries which they thought was to do with me starting to ovulate again. The pain worsened over the night so I went back and they admitted me and kept me in over the weekend. On Monday nothing had improved and I had been given strong IV pain killers all weekend, so the dr performed another laparoscopy and found a burst ovarian cyst and blood in the pouch of douglas and also some adhesions in the pouch of douglas to the uterus. I felt OK after this op, but now 5-1/2 weeks on I am in very bad pain (same as it was last time) on my right side and it has been there for a week. I feel quite disgruntled, and don't know what to do? I feel sick from the pain and slightly dizzy. I have three small children to look after and my baby is only 5-1/2 months old. Is there something more I should do or look out for? I just want to be normal again! I have never had an health problems before. My sister and mum had ovarian cancer and quite obviously I don't, as I have had scans and surgery, but would that make me more at risk of getting cysts? If my pain won't go away, what will happen then? Please help me! Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor Norman :

Hello and welcome to Pearl.com. I am Doctor Norm, and I look forward to helping you with your problem today.

Doctor Norman :

You do have an interesting history.

Doctor Norman :

Are you breastfeeding?

Doctor Norman :

Are you using anything for birth control? Thank you.