Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

Im totally depressed with morning sickness. I am 8 wks. I have

Customer Question

Im totally depressed with morning sickness. I am 8 wks. I have 24 7 nausea and feeling like gagging. Never had it this bad with my other 3. Which medicine would u say would be most effective so i cn discuss with my doc. Thanku could you please answer asap, I'm at the end of my tether.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 3 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Which medications have you tried?

JACUSTOMER-sr1msalp- : Phenergan, cyclyzine and metoclopramide
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Morning sickness (truly all day long sickness), is best cured by eating. When one is pregnant, the hormones slow down the gut function and instead of typical hunger symptoms, one begins to feel sick. The longer you go without eating, the worse you become. Also, if you eat carbs you may feel worse within an hour and become sick all over again. So, I recommend my patients take in more protein than carbs. So, if you tend to do ok with crackers, but suddenly become sick again an hour or so later, you should eat cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers. Similarly, breakfasts are typically high in carbs. So, eating better (bacon and eggs, yogurt, etc) over cereal will help you feel better.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Zofran is a medication that works well and is less likely to cause drowsiness. Vitamin B-6 and Doxylamine together are the longest known treatment for nausea in pregnancy and works well. The downside of Doxylamine is that it is a sleep aid.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Also, I recommend you ask your doctor to check your thyroid. Not all doctors check for thyroid disease in pregnancy and certainly this can make your nausea worse if it is present.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Lastly, if you have a history of depression (and not just due to feeling so ill), this can also worsen your symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-sr1msalp- : I have been eating well up until now but it hasnt helped and now my appetite has completely gone. Ive tried b6.
JACUSTOMER-sr1msalp- : I have a history of mental illness
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Are you being treated for the mental illness or did you discontinue due to the pregnancy?

JACUSTOMER-sr1msalp- : I discontinued due to the pregnancy
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Ok. So, a part of your symptoms is due to discontinuing your medications and the fact that you are not feeling well because of the pregnancy. If there is a medication you respond better to, be sure to eat some protein when you can. Some women will have to eat something every 2 hours to keep from feeling really sick, so feel free to eat small frequent meals that are high in protein to minimize your symptoms.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Nausea is typically all day long and not just in the morning. Should your symptoms fail to completely resolve despite eating, this is normal. You just want to keep eating to keep them from worsening. Ask for Zofran though, it works very well.

JACUSTOMER-sr1msalp- : Will zofran definetely give me some relief?
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Take it slow, don't overeat. But reduce your carbs (breads, pasta, cereal, crackers, rice, potatoes, etc) and increase your protein (meat, cheese, egg, peanut butter, yogurt). You may find this will help also. Yes, the Zofran will help. You can expect these symptoms will improve after 12-14 weeks.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask. If none, please rate my answer. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-sr1msalp- : Are you still there?
JACUSTOMER-sr1msalp- : Its not letting me see your answer. The reply screen is blocking it and i cant move it
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I'm here.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

When you exited and re-entered, you still can not see it?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If not, I can change the format to Q&A which will change this to where we send messages instead of the chat.

JACUSTOMER-sr1msalp- : Could you start a new page cus i cnt see anything.
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I'll change the format. Please exit and re-enter.

You should now be able to see our entire conversation above. If you have additional questions, you may ask in the box below. If none, please rate my answer so that I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.