Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

My wife is currently in hospital and is 36wks pregnant on monday,

Customer Question

My wife is currently in hospital and is 36wks pregnant on monday, she was admitted with double protein ++lucacites in her urine aswell as high level of uric acid from her bloods, she has blinding frontal headaches, blurred vision sore eyes, pain in high stomach area sensitive to touch also sore legs and hands, her bp is pretty normal and fetal heart and pulse is normal, she has been made aware that she has pre eclimpsia but! despite he pains getting worse the doctors dont want to make a decision just want to wait and see! Is there a reason for this despite the deteration of my wife? and is there any questions we can ask to find out what the plan to do and when?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

DrK99 :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

JACUSTOMER-tsn128ow- :

DrK99 :

Your wife is at 36 weeks with 2 plus protein. Her symptoms of severe headache and abdominal pain make the diagnosis of "severe" pre eclampsia despite normal lab values

DrK99 :

You must ask the Drs what the results of her liver enzymes and platelets are.

JACUSTOMER-tsn128ow- :

Yes, we thought that as we have just went through this with a previous preganacy ten months ago

JACUSTOMER-tsn128ow- :

What would the pain in her eyes be?

JACUSTOMER-tsn128ow- :

And why would the doctors not bring the birth on despite these symptons?

DrK99 :

The pain in the eyes is from the preeclampsia and is related to the headache, it is a symptom of visual changes and again is a symptom of "severe" preeclampsia

DrK99 :

This also warrants delivery At 36 weeks there is no good reason to wait.

DrK99 :

I am not sure why they would be waiting, there is no rationale or benefit to the baby with severe pre eclampsia to delay delivery at this point. It is very risky

JACUSTOMER-tsn128ow- :

My wife would be 36 weeks on monday that may a reason? The problem she is facing at the minute is getting a doctor to listen, she has explained what is happening and she been told that she is fine in no danger and baby is fine and no danger, she has no swelling in legs or hands but are painful too?

DrK99 :

No, 35 weeks is the same

DrK99 :

Her symptom of severe headache alone is concerning. You should get the info on the liver enzyme labs and she should have a 24 hour urine done. You should speak with a high risk ob Dr and go from there

JACUSTOMER-tsn128ow- :

she has had a 24 hour urine collection already, it came back with trace protein ++lucacites, she is waiting for current blood works to come back so we will ask about the liver enzymes, I am sorry just a very worried husband and father

DrK99 :

That is NOT a 24 hour collection. She would collect her urine for 24 hours and there would be an actual number for the amount of protein. She must have this

DrK99 :

Trace and plus 2 leukocytes is a value for a dipstick

DrK99 :

I see you are offline so I will switch to q and a