Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

Hi have been on micrognon for 15 years with no problems but

Customer Question

Hi have been on micrognon for 15 years with no problems but the last few months I am getting repeated spotting throughout the packs- this seems to happen regardless of if I have a pill free break or if I run packets back to back. I am now 48 years old and confused as to what is happening- any suggestions? I am not sexually active at present so do not believe it is an STI

I have been under a great deal of stress- could this be affecting the hormone balance created by the pill or could it be my age and the beginning of perimenopausal  stage?

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

MugsyMD : Hello
MugsyMD : Well more than likely you are experiencing Perimenopause given you are 48 and this would be a common reason for this breakthrough bleeding and/or spotting at your age.
MugsyMD : Now, other reasons for this would be a possible Polyp
MugsyMD : Also you might have a thyroid condition - which is easily checked with a TSH thyroid blood test
MugsyMD : And, there is a possible likelihood of a possible precancer or cancer (BUT this would be very unlikely - but you should get this checked).
MugsyMD : So, What I suggest doing is that you get a pelvic exam, make sure your PAP smear is up to date, plus get an Endometrial biopsy to ensure that you do not have a precancer or cancer inside the uterus, and then also get a Pelvic ultrasound to check for any possible polyps, fibroids or masses.
MugsyMD : I hope this helps
MugsyMD : Please if you have more questions, please ask
MugsyMD : Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
MugsyMD : Thank you
MugsyMD : DR Owen
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

Can you still experience perimenopausal symptoms even if you are on the pill?

MugsyMD : Yes you can because the pill is a low dose of estrogen / progesterone
MugsyMD : Also, there are other medications to help with the bleeding too such as Tranexamic acid - but you should get this evaluated like I suggested to help you
MugsyMD : MOre than likely All is well
MugsyMD : I hope this helps
MugsyMD : I have to deliver a baby right now - so I will be back in about 20 minutes if you have more questions.
MugsyMD : Thank you
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

so does that mean I am still producing some of my own hormones as well then?

MugsyMD : Yes you will continue to produce hormones EVEN in menopause -
MugsyMD : I hope this helps
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

no I mean on the pill?

MugsyMD : Yes both ways on the pill or off the pills, Yes
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

but I thought the pill was controlling my ormone levels?

MugsyMD : but what is important is to get this evaluated to find the reason for the bleeding - whether perimenopasue or not
MugsyMD : Yes the pill can control hormones - BUT to a point - not 100% of the time
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

i see

MugsyMD : but it is important in perimenopasue to get this type of bleeding evaluated whether or not you on the pill JUST to be SAFE - that is very important
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

so could stress affect your hormone levels?

MugsyMD : Yes
MugsyMD : MANY things
MugsyMD : you just need to get this evaluated so that you know you are SAFE and not in any danger - more than likely you are JUST going through periemenopasue/ menopause
MugsyMD : I wish you well
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

ok that's helpful- is there anything I can do naturally to increase hormone levels...someone suggested vitamin c

MugsyMD : Vitamin C does nothing
MugsyMD : You can use Black cohosh or Vitex
MugsyMD : but other than taking a regular hormones you really do NOT need to do anything
MugsyMD : YOU NEED to do the evaluation - to see WHY -
MugsyMD : I hope this helps
MugsyMD : I wish you well
MugsyMD : Thank you for your questions
MugsyMD : I have to deliver a baby
MugsyMD : thank you
MugsyMD : Thank you
MugsyMD : I will be back in 20 minutes if you need me
MugsyMD : thank you
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I understand what you're saying and I have an appointment booked with my doctor but am just trying to get an idea of what might be happening-

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

as I am spotting anyway will it be ok to take my packets of pills back to back without a break?

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

someone has told me on this site before that it is because of years of being on the pill the lining is very thin and fragile and easily shedded.

MugsyMD : I'm back
MugsyMD : Hi
MugsyMD : Yes you can take packets back to back - that is absolutely fine to do
MugsyMD : I'm back
MugsyMD : What you are more than likely having is due to the hormonal imbalance of perimenopause - and not really the fragility of the lining
MugsyMD : I'm back
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

can you answer my last 2 questions please - see above

MugsyMD : Just back from delivering a baby
MugsyMD : Hi
MugsyMD : I'm back
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

if I do take packets back to back will tht not just mess things up more?

MugsyMD : Hi
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

MugsyMD : I'm back
MugsyMD : I wish you well
MugsyMD : Thank you
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

MugsyMD : I did -
MugsyMD : try scrolling to see if you can see ti
MugsyMD : I did - but I will answer again
MugsyMD : Yes you can take these back to back - it is perfectly fine to do
MugsyMD : it
MugsyMD : It will not mess things up
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

but won't taking 2 packets without a break mess the hormone balance even more?

MugsyMD : No it will not
MugsyMD : You might just get a heavy period - but might actually help if you stop the pills for 4 to 7 days and then restart the pills
MugsyMD : there are so many options for you
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

don't understmd what you mean stop them?

MugsyMD : you can STOP the pills for 4 to 7 days - meaning do not take the active pills -
MugsyMD : you can do that and this will cause a period to occur - and hence MIGHT help in the long run and then RE-Start back to back pills
MugsyMD : but you still should get evaluated for a possible thyroid problem, a polyp and so on.
JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

but isn't that the same a my pill free week? it a 21 day pill I'm on- I don't really want to have a period on stop of all of this spotting

MugsyMD : I very much understand
MugsyMD : but SOMETIMES getting rid of the excess hormones that you are taking for 4 to 7 days can "FIX" the problem
MugsyMD : so yes you can do pill free for 4 to 7 days
MugsyMD : and hence restart the pills might just help you
MugsyMD : but without doing the tests and exams I really can not say exactly what is going on - but MORE than likely this is just perimenopause and hence to help stop the spotting - it is hard to say which way your body will respond
MugsyMD : so you can continue to take the back to back pills
MugsyMD : Or you can stop the pills for 4 to 7 days and LET the Entire lining shed off -
MugsyMD : Hence there are many options here
MugsyMD : also what I spoke above - you can also try a medication called Tranexamic acid - this is a prescription your doctor will need to prescribe for you.
MugsyMD : Also, what can help too for bleeding spotting is what is known as an ablation - this cauterizes the inside of your uterus - and hence stops the bleeding, hopefully permanently
MugsyMD : Hi - Are you there?
MugsyMD : did you leave?
MugsyMD : Okay
MugsyMD : well I see you are not responding to me.
MugsyMD : I wish youwell
MugsyMD : Thank you
MugsyMD : Dr Owen
MugsyMD : Have a good evening
MugsyMD : I think I probably have given a LOT of information and probably have confused you.
MugsyMD : Well take care
MugsyMD : I wish you wel
MugsyMD : well
MugsyMD : bye
MugsyMD :

MugsyMD :

Are you here?

MugsyMD :

I am still here for you

MugsyMD :

Please tell me what questions you have?

MugsyMD :

IF no more questions, please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

MugsyMD :

I see you are not going to give me a positive rating

MugsyMD :

have a good day

MugsyMD :

bye