deardr
deardr, Doctor
Experience:  I have worked in a Medical School for last 10 years as a faculty.
25541092

I am around 7-8 weeks pregnant, possibly even 6 as its difficult

Customer Question

I am around 7-8 weeks pregnant, possibly even 6 as its difficult to get an accurate date due to irregular periods, I had an abdominal ultrasound done and it the radiographer said you could see the sac and pointed out what could be the baby but at that stage she said it is unsure. There was some red bloodflow marked into that area she said could also be a good indication...

is this normal? and what does she mean by "seeing the sac"?

thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  deardr replied 4 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I would help you today.

Ultrasound can pick up gestational sac and fetal pole as early as 5 weeks. One does see a small rounded black {anechoic} area within which is tiny fetal pole. On starting color doppler one does see small red and blue area within the fetal pole and surrounding the sac. This indicates blood flow and it is a good sign. This is considered one of the sign to confirm viability of the fetus.

In nutshell - The findings you had on your ultrasound are normal and there is nothing to worry of.

Wish you good luck.

Best