Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I had a burch suspension approx 25 years ago. If I lay on my

Customer Question

I had a burch suspension approx 25 years ago. If I lay on my back on the floor, I am unable to lift myself into a sitting position without using my hands. Everyone else in my exercise class can do this other than me. I was told by a pilates teacher years ago that it would just take time to strengthen my abdominals but I am still no nearer. I am beginning to think that what ever was done in the operation has left me with no abdominal muscles and that it why I cannot strengthen them and it is just a waste of time to try. My scar is along the pubic bone.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 4 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Since your abdomen was opened with one big incision to perform this operation, it is possible that your muscles were not reattached. If so, when you use your abdominal muscles they would contract on the sides and you'll have a bulge in the center. If you do not notice this, then it may be simply that the exercises you are doing are not to the capacity that would actually cause you to build muscle. This is very common. It would be best to see a physical therapist to help strengthen your muscles. I recommend you start with seeing your doctor to make sure you do not have a hernia that needs to be operated on. If not, you can be referred to physical therapy to help strengthen your abs. The exercises would be much more intense in order for you to gain muscle mass and strength.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please ask. If none, please rate my answer. Thank you.