Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Im 9 weeks pregnant and just started getting brown discharge.

Customer Question

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and just started getting brown discharge. I'm scared as I've previously had 2 miscarriages and I've never had a successful pregnancy. I never had discharge like this with the previous pregnancies, both miscarriages were only discovered at the scan. I'll go to the doctor tomorrow and I know there's nothing anyone can tell me except to go for a scan, but I'm just so scared.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Doctor Norm, and I look forward to helping you with your problem today.

Brown discharge is common in early pregnancy. Sometimes it's the first sign of miscarriage, but often it just resolves after a while. You'll find out tomorrow when you have a scan. If there is a heartbeat, there will usually be no miscarriage, in spite of the brown discharge. There's nothing you can do now other than wait for the scan, but I think you have a reasonable chance that things will be normal on the scan. Good luck!