Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

i am feeling alot of pain in my left ovary since ovulation

Customer Question

i am feeling alot of pain in my left ovary since ovulation my next period is due next week friday. what could cause the pain?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 3 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

you there?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Women ovulate approximately 2 weeks before.their period. We produce an ovarian cyst prior to ovulation. Sometimes the cyst will rupture and there will be bleeding within the cyst. Blood causes a lot of pain. So, if there are times where you have significant pain, it is usually due to bleeding.

Customer :

is it something to worry about?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Usually, the cyst will resolve spontaneously.

Customer :

what does that mean?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

It is very rare to have complications from these cysts. But occasionally there can be such significant pain and internal bleeding that you can develop signs of anemia. This would include weakness, palpitations, and passing out. As long as you do not develop these symptoms, you should be fine. Each month a cyst will form and will subsequently resolve. Even if it ruptures, it will resolve. As long as you don't develop signs of anemia, you don't have to go to the emergency room.

Customer :

so will i be able to get pregnant?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Absolutely.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

This is a very common issue. We all ovulate every month. The egg is released from the cyst and sometimes the cyst will rupture.

Customer :

ok

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

It has no bearing on our fertility.

Customer :

ok so it is from the cyst that the egg is released

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes

Customer :

but the pain is really bad i cant even touch my left side

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Another reason you should consider going to the emergency room is if your pain is so severe you need pain medication.

Customer :

if i am feeling so much pain i am definitely not pregnant

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Actually, that is not true. It is still possible you can conceive. You did release an egg, so if you had intercourse over the past week you can become pregnant.

Customer :

ok thank you

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

It would just be unlikely that the pain is due to pregnancy.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You are so welcome.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I wish you the best. If you have no further questions, please rate my answer.

Customer :

ok i wish it was though. but it is still possible i could be pregnant

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, but it would be too early to test.

Customer :

i would have to wait until next week

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, for accuracy you should wait at least 3 days before your period and use a reputable test like First Response.

Customer :

ok i wish i am regnant though

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Make sure you are taking prenatal vitamins since you are trying. They can help prevent birth defects.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you have no further questions, please rate my answer so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer :

what are prenatal vitamins?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

They are vitamins that are specially formulated for pregnancy.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You can find them at any store that sells vitamins.

Customer :

will they help me to concieve/

Customer :

?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Sometimes if one is a little malnourished, they can help you conceive.

Customer :

anyone that you might suggest?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Not in particular. Anything labeled prenatal vitamins will work for now. Your doctor will prescribe you vitamins once you become pregnant.

Customer :

ok

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Please don't forget to rate my answer. The site does not pay us for assisting you until you do. Thanks for your understanding.