Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I am 48 and have been on microgynon 30 for over 15 years. It

Customer Question

I am 48 and have been on microgynon 30 for over 15 years. It has always worked well for me with light periods and only very occasional brown spotting/discharge.
Over the last 4 months it seems that the brown discharge has become quite frequent. It is only usually light brown in colour and last for a day or so and then returns to normal. This might happen once or twice now with every pack. Is this normal after having been on it for so long to now have side effects?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

hi

Dr Owen :

This could be normal - as you are entering possibly through the perimenopausal phase.

Dr Owen :

but also you might have a chronic minor infection

Dr Owen :

You might also have a fibroid or a polyp

Dr Owen :

So I would suggest a few things:

Dr Owen :

1. Make sure your PAP smear is up to date

Dr Owen :

2. Check your TSH thyroid blood test - as this could be a thyroid problem

Dr Owen :

3. Also this could be a problem a polyp or fibroid - so an ultrasound should be done to check

Dr Owen :

4. And to check for an infection - a culture and I would also do an Endometrial biopsy of the inside of the uterus (takes just a few seconds by an ob/gyn doctor to do this) - and if you have an Endometritis - then a medication such as Doxycycline will help

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

Ive had a smear and it isn't an infection I've also had a tyroid test

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

Well I started out saying this could be due to menopause/ perimenopause - and I'm glad you have had these tests - as they were a possibility

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I am waiting for an ultrasound to check for a polyp

Dr Owen :

okay

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

can polyps be treated with progestins

Dr Owen :

polyps usually need to be removed with a D&C (dilation and curettage - this scraps the inside of the uterus out - this is a minor procedure).

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I know but I have heard that if they are not causing bad symptoms that progestins are an option

Dr Owen :

Well progesterones really do not remove the polyp

Dr Owen :

A polyp is essentially a cyst on a stalk -

Dr Owen :

so it really can only be removed 'manually' -

Dr Owen :

but if you are NOT having bright red bleeding - then it really does not need to be removed as polyps are not really concerning as they are not a cancer.

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

that's why I said progestins- I heard they help shrink them and stop them from growing bigger

Dr Owen :

no, they have no affect on polyps at all

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

that's not what I've been told

Dr Owen :

progesterones help with thick tissue in the uterus, but not polyps

Dr Owen :

you have to understand what a polyp is - and progesterone have zero affect on them

Dr Owen :

I've been an ob/gyn for 20 years - and honestly I have never seen progesterone have an effect on polyps

Dr Owen :

I'm sorry you have been told that

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I was told they grow with estrogen and progestins help by blocking the estrogen supply that makes them grow

Dr Owen :

no, that is not true either

Dr Owen :

A polyp is essentially the end of a blood vessel - that grows out and forms a balloon like structure - hence why it looks like a balloon on a stalk

Dr Owen :

so progesterones/ estrogens really have no effect

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I don't care what it looks like- It's readiliy available on the internet that one of the possible reasons for polyps and fibroids is estogen production

Dr Owen :

That is fine

Dr Owen :

I'm just saying in 20 years as a practicing ob/gyn

Dr Owen :

I have Never seen polyps affected by progesterone/ estrogen

Dr Owen :

I'm sorry if you are seeing that

Dr Owen :

The internet is full of false information

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

so why would a doctor recommend women with fibriods use progestins then?

Dr Owen :

we were talking about polyps.

Dr Owen :

But fibroids are Not affected by progesterone

Dr Owen :

Fibroids Are however increased in size by estrogen

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

as are polyps

Dr Owen :

polyps are different from fibroids

Dr Owen :

fibroids are muscular tissue

Dr Owen :

polyps are vessel material

Dr Owen :

so very different

Dr Owen :

I think you are getting off your main question topic

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

this is not part of my original question which was about the Pill?

Dr Owen :

as you were asking about spotting / discharge

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

so...? what is your answer to that?

Dr Owen :

you also said you do not have an infection - how do you know for sure you do not have a chronic infection such as an Endometritis

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

no I don't have endometritis

Dr Owen :

did you get tested for endometritis (this is not endometriosis - this is very different).

Dr Owen :

because a chronic infection can cause your spotting / discharge

Dr Owen :

yes the pill combined with perimenopause can cause this

Dr Owen :

and you say your thyroid is normal - so that is good

Dr Owen :

So while this could be normal side effects of the pill - this is something that I would check a bit further -

Dr Owen :

and I'm glad you are having an ultrasound to check for polyps and fibroids

Dr Owen :

And, as for the microgynon pill - you might need a Lower dose pill such as Loestrin 1/20

Dr Owen :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

yes

Dr Owen :

What other questions do you have?

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I asked why it would start having these side effects after so long?

Dr Owen :

Are you able to see everything I am writing?

Dr Owen :

I have given you that answer already, but I will repeat that again.

Dr Owen :

this could be due to Endometritis, Perimenopause, too hight of a dose of a pill, a polyp, or a fibroid -

Dr Owen :

So not your thyroid or cervix since your PAP and TSH thyroid test is normal

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

OMG!!!! Youve said all of this already!!!! forget all of that- what about if it's just to do with the pill???

Dr Owen :

I know you have been on the pill for 15 years - and the human body is not stagnant - we as human do change - so this is why it could be anything.

Dr Owen :

It can be due to the pill - but what I am trying to say is that Yes it can be due to the pill, but it is important to check the other reasons too.

Dr Owen :

I'm trying to be helpful here and give you other reasons as to why this is happening

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

YES!!!!! most of those other things have been checked!!!!

Dr Owen :

IF all off these have been checked then it can be the pill, as this could be too high of a dose of the pill

Dr Owen :

or this could be due to Perimenopause - so checking a FSH follicle stimulating hormone would help too.

Dr Owen :

I'm still here

Dr Owen :

so the human body is an ever changing body - and just because you have not had a problem for years, honestly we as ob/gyn's see this happening all the time - so it really is nothing unusual

Dr Owen :

Especially since you state your are 48 and more than likely heading towards menopause - so this is normal

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Are you there?

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Are you there?

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions - I am more than happy to help you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr Owen :

Have a good evening

Dr Owen :

.