Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, 5 years experience in the field of General Surgery and Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hello I am 6 days late for my period. I have a funny stomach

Customer Question

I am 6 days late for my period. I have a funny stomach and am feeling sick. I am very tired and am warm all the time. I have done a pregnancy test yesterday which was negative but do you think I could be pregnant. If not what else could be wrong.

Thanks Louise Jones
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Are you trying to conceive?

Q. When was the last time you had unprotected sexual intercourse?

Q. Do you often have late or irregular periods?

Q. Are you on any contraceptives?

Q. Are you under any stress or anxiety?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I last had unprotected sex about 3-4 weeks since. We are not particularly trying to conceive just if it happens it happens. I never have late or irregular they are always right on time. I haven't been on the pill for the last 4-5 months. I am not really under stress at the moment.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry about the delay.

There can be a few reasons for a delay in menstruation, these being pregnancy, stress, anxiety, diet changes, contraceptive pills, medication etc.

The first one that seems more likely in your case is pregnancy - even though the pregnancy test was negative.

I understand that a late period and recurring negative pregnancy test results can lead to a great deal of stress, worry, confusion, and conjecture on what might be happening.

Assuming that you are pregnant, the most simple explanation is that the test you have purchased from the drugstore is of a lower-sensitivity. This means that the test is capable of detecting pregnancy only when the level of hCG reaches a certain threshold, and the test is simply not sensitive enough to yield the positive result. Follow the instructions of the pregnancy test kit and give the kit the required reaction time to induce the results.
Another reason is when you have had a lot of fluids to drink, this can dilute the amount of hCG in the urine and bring about a negative test. It is always best to use the morning sample of urine and collecting the mid stream urine for the test.
Another reason is that hCG develops at different rates among women. Some women can easily discover if they are pregnant well before their missed period. Other women may need to wait a bit longer.
If you have missed a period and are experiencing pregnancy symptoms like morning sickness, sore or tender breasts etc then it is best to get a hCG test and an ultrasound from your doctor to rule out ectopic pregnancy or any other problem with the pregnancy which might be causing lowered production of hCG.

Other reasons such as stress, anxiety, previous problems with periods, diet changes have been ruled out in your case by the history that you have provided. Less important causes of missing a period are vigorous exercise, miscalculation etc.

Keeping in mind that you have had unprotected sexual intercourse and were not on any contraceptive medication during this time, this could be due to conception, and I suggest that you get a sensitive pregnancy test kit from the pharmacy and perform the test again after a couople of days.
If you still yield a negative test and continue to go without having periods then you should visit your PCP for further tests and a thorough work up.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating if satisfied, if you have more queries or need further information then please reply back without rating.
Best.