Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Ive had PCOS for 6 years- had irregular periods which then

Customer Question

I've had PCOS for 6 years- had irregular periods which then regularised on their own without meds. They were pretty normal until free the birth of my son- he is now 2. I bled for the first 12 months which stopped then I had a couple of normal cycles. But for the past 7 months I had no period at all. Then 1 month ago I started spotting .... Really light and no pain.. Is this normal with PCOS???

(I've had all the tests done whilst I was bleeding within first 12 months after birth, smears, scans etc all normal)
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

It is common with PCOS to not have a cycle for many months but it is not normal. You will need some bloodwork done to check for thyroid and elevated prolactin level.

Hypothyroidism can be a cause of a missed period. A prolactinoma can cause a high prolactin level which also can suppress your cycle. Of course you should do a pregnancy test.

You will want to be on medication such as an oral contraceptive or progesterone to be sure that you have a cycle at least once every 3 months.

Let me know if you have questions. Please be patient as it may take time for me to respond.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I have a message that you replied, do you have more questions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi I'm still bleeding very lightly my doctor prescribed the pill but not stopped it
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
It may take a full cycle of the pill to stop the bleeding. So you may need to be patient. In one or two months, things should be more normal for you.