Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I have just started oestrogel for hot flashes and headaches.

Customer Question

I have just started oestrogel for hot flashes and headaches. My estrogen was tested and was very low. I had been using a otc cream for a few days which had removed the headaches but left me with the hot flashes. I took one pump of estrogel last night and had a better night, only a few sweats but woke with a headache. I took 2 pumps this morning and have had three hot flashes from 7 till 12 and still have the headache despite taking 2 c co dydramol.
I have a prescription for prometrium but havent taken any yet I am currently on day 35 of my current cycle.
My blood pressure 117/68 pulse 75 and temp 96.9. I only want to use bio-identical hrt.

Should I take another dose of oestrogel and keep increasing until the pain and hot flashes go?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well here are some options for you...

Dr Owen :

1. Yes you can use more of the bioidentical hormone.

Dr Owen :

2. A better option in my opinion is to ADD a non-hormonal medication such as Clonidine (also known as Catapress) - which was originally designed for blood pressure issues - however, in the low dose of 0.1mg per day - this will help with Hot flashes.

Dr Owen :

3. Another medication that would help is something that increases the Serotonin and norepinephrine levels - and hence this medication is called Pristiq and hence would help the hot flashes too.

Dr Owen :

I hope this help

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

Please, if you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen

JACUSTOMER-u779digr- :

What about the headaches? I was asking why when the headaches had gone with the otc estrogen gel, had they come back with the prescription gel.

JACUSTOMER-u779digr- :

Also I have low blood pressure and want to use bio-identical hormones for the benefits they give, so why would I need a blood pressure medicine?

Dr Owen :

well estrogen like all hormones can cause headaches - it is a side effect of the estrogen

Dr Owen :

the Clonidine will NOT affect your blood pressure at this dose - it is a GREAT medication to help your hot flashes

Dr Owen :

SO the clonidine is not for blood pressure - but for hot flahses...

Dr Owen :

there are many medications that we use that have Alternative uses.

JACUSTOMER-u779digr- :

I was having headaches because of low estrogen - therefore I supplemented estrogen with an otc cream, the headaches stopped but the hot flashes didn't so I got prescription estrogen and the headaches have started again. I don't want top take other things when it is low estrogen that is causing the headaches, also clonidine is prescription only.

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

I understand...

Dr Owen :

but honestly low estrogen usually is not a cause of headaches, but if you 'feel' it is that is fine, but also you really do not want to increase the estrogen that much combining with the progesterone -because Even though you are using bioidentical hormones -this increases the risk incrementally for breast cancer, and blood clots, so you do try to keep the hormone replacement as low as possible.

Dr Owen :

so, hence using other medications such as Pristiq or Clonidine which are Non- hormonal medications and these both require a prescription -

Dr Owen :

I just wanted you to be aware of some of the risks, but also benefits of other medications.

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

JACUSTOMER-u779digr- :

I'm sorry but I don't think you understand bio-incidentals they reduce all the risks you are mentioning

Dr Owen :

I understand very well bioidenticals

Dr Owen :

they are NOT as safe as you think they are.

Dr Owen :

they are just as dangerous as other hormones - please LOOK at that very carefully.

Dr Owen :

SO, just because something says bioidentical or natural, honestly this does not necessarily mean it is safe -

Dr Owen :

So that is why I was suggesting an alternative for this....

JACUSTOMER-u779digr- :

These are the side effects of the medication you are suggesting:

Dr Owen :

I've been treating women for these conditions for close to 20 years...and yes I know about all hormones..

JACUSTOMER-u779digr- :

Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)

• Dizziness.

• Drowsiness and sedation.

• Dry mouth.

• A drop in blood pressure that occurs when going from a sitting or lying position to sitting or standing, which results in dizziness and lightheadedness (postural hypotension).

Common (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)

• Headache.

• Depression.

• Difficulty in sleeping.

• Constipation.

• Nausea and vomiting.

• Pain in the salivary glands.

• Fatigue.

• Erectile dysfunction (impotence).

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/brain-and-nervous-system/medicines/dixarit.html#ixzz2fFpWSwlt
Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook

Dr Owen :

I wish you the best

Dr Owen :

bye

Dr Owen :

I know the side effects and I know how these medications work on the cellular level - I would NOT ever give bad advice

Dr Owen :

But thank you for the 'bad' service

Dr Owen :

have a great week

Dr Owen :

I appreciate your bad rating

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

good luck to you

Dr Owen :

but I do have one huge piece of advice - IF you continue with the hormones the way you are - you are exponentially increasing your risk of a breast cancer as well as a blood clot that can lead to a PE and that can then lead to instanteous death - so be very careful... and none of the other medications cause those severe side effects.

Dr Owen :

AND, if you look at the side effect profile of almost every medication you will see the ALL list nausea, vomiting, headaches, etc - every medication does - so you have to be very careful what you are reading and it takes years of medical training to read inbetween the lines...

Dr Owen :

So, do NOT believe that bioidentical hormones are safe just because it says Bioidentical -

Dr Owen :

they are NOT that safe - and the medical literature has proven they are not safe - and in fact the proof is in the WHI study

Dr Owen :

so look up the WHI study

Dr Owen :

you will be surprised.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

and please, please, please be very careful...hormones are not the pancea you think they are, so be very careful and judicious in using them.

Dr Owen :

good luck to you.

Dr Owen :

and PLEASE reconsider your bad rating - I have given you very valid, sound medical advice..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I did not feel he was answering the question I asked, but just wanted to palm more drugs onto me. I would like an answer from a doctor who supports bio-identical HRT not one opposed to it
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
I never said I was opposed to it.

But when you are doing research on these drugs, you really need to take into consideration the long term harmful affects to these drugs..

Also, look into the 'history' of the word bioidentical - you will actually find it is a 'Marketing' ploy - and nothing more - honestly. There is plenty of research that shows that there is no scientific evidence between the drugs that or just regular hormones and those that are bioidentical - there really is not - and to look into that - look at the WHI report- the Women's Health Initiative that has been going on for close to 20 years now - it is a Long range Prospective study that actually was started in the UK - and the research is really Wonderful - it is a Great research tool that every doctor should really know about - and the WHI study and the off shoots of the study are readily available.

so, I am NOT against the bioidentical hormones, but what I was trying to tell you was that there are much safer alternatives for the LONG run. Also, one other thing - when it comes to using hormones - EVERY doctor should be counseling their patients as the Recommendation for the past 7 years for the use of hormones is to USE THE HORMONES for the SHORTEST PERIOD OF TIME POSSIBLE - what that means when translated - this means hormones should NOT really be used more than about 2 years when you are using combined hormones of both Estrogen and Progesterone which you are really doing - you are using both. If you were using ONLY Estrogen - that is an entirely different story, but because you still have an Uterus, you need to use a progesterone to prevent Uterine cancer - which will be more than likely the case if you use estrogen UNOPPOSED (meaning without progesterone). But IF you do NOT have an uterus, you can use Estrogen all you want - as estrogen alone is SAFE to use as long as you do not have a history of Estrogen Receptor positive Breast cancer.

So, read the side effects of many drugs - you will fine they are essentially very similar - and I would NEVER suggest a harmful medication to you or anyone - I am giving you very Solid sound advice.

So please reconsider and please think about what I have said....I have been a doctor for a very long time - and the thousands of patients I see every year are actually quite happy about my advice and what I prescribe to them - but it all boils down to one thing - it is a matter of educating the patient and then counseling the patient - so then the patient makes the ultimate decision, Hormones vs No Hormones -

I wish you well
Please click on EXCELLENT (please do not click on poor or bad - that really hurts me - )
Have a great rest of the week