Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

My wife has a severe p[ain that runs from south of her right

Customer Question

My wife has a severe p[ain that runs from south of her right shoulder blade around the side to below her right breast. Sometimes the pain seems to give a sharp jab. She's had this pain now for five weeks or more.

She has had various things done...blood tests, an ultrasound (upper abdomen), X-rays, and a gastroscopy. The reports all say that everything is "normal". But she's still in great pain, taking Tramadol regularly (as a pain killer) and Omeprazole (to reduce stomach acid production). Her doctor is puzzled; can't figure it out.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

A Hendry
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

hello

Dr Owen :

So this is pain in just the right side around the chest / breast/ shoulder area?

Dr Owen :

Do you have any pain in the abdominal area?

Dr Owen :

Has she seen a Breast surgeon?

Dr Owen :

Usually the pain that you describe is actually Referred pain from just underneath the diaphragm - so the nerve in that area of the diaphragm can cause all the pain that she is experiencing.

Dr Owen :

So, what I would suggest is a MRI of this area since the ultrasound things such as an ultrasound, and gastroscopy was normal.

Dr Owen :

IF the MRI is normal - then I would THEN next check with a Laparoscopy - which is a camera that looks directly at the diaphragm with a camera - as she might have an infection going on in this area, or she might have something going on with her gallbladder which is a fairly common problem to cause this too.

Dr Owen :

Also, the MRI of the Breast might help too - as there could be something going on with an interaction between the breast tissue and then with the muscles on the chest wall below / behind the breast - and a MRI can pick this up.

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask - I am here to help you

Dr Owen :

I wish her well

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

I see you have not returned.

Dr Owen :

Have a good day