Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488
OB GYN

Hello, I am experiencing incontinence after swimming. I have

to wear a incontinence pad... Show More
to wear a incontinence pad after swimming. Sometimes I can't make it from the pool to the toilet without losing water. I have noticed occasional leaking at other times in the day but I can run/laugh/sneeze without leaking.

I have also noticed I cannot hold on to urine midstream.

I am 30, female, no children, not overweight, non-smoker, I don't have a urine infection or sti.
Is the likely cause weak pelvic floor?
Category: OB GYN
Show Less
replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

hi

Dr Owen :

this is urine incontinence, correct?

JACUSTOMER-dwcsmd01- :

Yes

Dr Owen :

You might have a stricture, or a possible anatomy problem -

Dr Owen :

So what I would suggest first if that you see an Urologist for a Cystoscopy - to LOOK directly INSIDE the urethra and bladder

Dr Owen :

Also, you might have a bladder irritation = and hence using a medication such as Detrol LA a low dose such as 2mg per day might help.

Dr Owen :

Also, you might have a bit of IC _ Interstitial Cystitis - and hence all of this can be checked with an Urinary culture (possibly you might have an infection that can only be checked with a culture, but a Cystoscopy - camera in the bladder also tell if there are any abnormalities that usually can be fixed very well

JACUSTOMER-dwcsmd01- :

I'm sorry what is a stricture? I have had a cystoscopy and that was normal. I didn't have this problem before the age of 25 and I have been able to hold onto urine midstream previously. Is this therefore more likely to be pelvic floor issue?

Dr Owen :

Stricture could be a 'Bend' or a narrowing of the tube (the urethra is a tube per se)

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Where did you go

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Are you there?

Dr Owen :

What happened?

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

Why did you give me bad service

Dr Owen :

Well good luck to you

Dr Owen :

Have a great day

Dr Owen :

and you can hopefully use the information I gave you to help you

Dr Owen :

by the way if you want the names of medications to help - I can tell you medications that will this besides Detrol...

Dr Owen :

Oh and if this is happening - then there are pregnancy concerns too - which you should know about

Dr Owen :

bye

Dr Owen :

Oh I see you requested me too - so why would you do that to me and give me a bad service?

Dr Owen :

I am very confused