Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I had an abalation done a few weeks ago. On my report my Gyn

Customer Question

I had an abalation done a few weeks ago. On my report my Gyn referred to a bulky uterus but insists it's a variant of normal. Everything I read on the internet points to it being a sign of adenmyosis Can you please clarify?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

You are 100% correct

Dr Owen :

Whenever I see a bulky uterus this is usually Adenomyosis

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

in what?

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

but he said he couldn't see that and it was basically normal

Dr Owen :

NOW if the ablation takes care of the bleeding which is why I think you had the ablation - then you really do Not need to do anything more

12:32 PM

But if the Ablation does NOT work, then usually the best option to deal with adenomyosis is a hysterectomy- BUT I see you are 48 which means you are close to menopause - so usually women who have problems with bleeding due to Adenomoysis - this goes away with menopause since the estrogen level decreases

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

why would he tell me it was normal?

Dr Owen :

Well it is 'normal' in that many women have this and it is Not a cancer - so that is what your doctor means

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

he said he saw no sign of adenmyosis

Dr Owen :

We as ob/gyn's see a LOT of women with adnenomyosis - and most of the time we do nothing about this

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

why would he have suggested this procedure if it was adenmysosis?

Dr Owen :

Also the ONLY way to see adenomyosis is with a microscope from a biopsy or from a hysterectomy speciman

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I have read that abalation doesn't work well for this condition?

Dr Owen :

Because ablation is easier and LESS invasive and if this works to control the bleeding - then you were saved from a major operation

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

but does it work in cases of adenomysosis?

Dr Owen :

Yes it can work - in some cases and so it is worth a try - especially when it saves you from a major surgery such as a hysterectomy

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

how fast growing is this condition I only had symptoms for 6 months prior to the abalation?

Dr Owen :

It is not that fast growing - this has nothing to do with how fast growing - so bleeding for this is something that you have or you do not have - so if the Ablation stops the bleeding then that is a GREAT thing and you should be absolutely good to go

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

but I only had problems with bleeding for 6 months prior to surgery which was put down to a polyp- no mention of adenomyosis I also don't get terrible pain

Dr Owen :

I understand

Dr Owen :

women all the time use the terms "this has never happened before", etc...well you as a human being change every day - you can't assume your body is standing still and not getting older - your body changes.

Dr Owen :

so, as long as the problem of bleeding is controlled - that is all you need to worry about

Dr Owen :

Adenomyosis if you have it is NOT a concern - as this is NOT a cancer and never will be -

Dr Owen :

So the point here is that IF you control the bleeding - then you have been properly treated whether or not you have an ablation, hysterectomy or some other procedure or medication to control it.

Dr Owen :

And, the ONLY way to 100% diagnose adenomyosis is with a biopsy or to look at the uterus under a microscope once you have had a hysterectomy- there is no other way - it is otherwise ASSUMED without tissue to look at

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I'm nor worried about cancer- I'm worried that I paid alot on money for this procedure because he told me I was a suitable candiddate. Now I read that abalation isn't very successful of adenomysis

Dr Owen :

I understand - but it is Very appropropriate to Try an ablation first especially for an uterus that is Less than 14cm in size -

Dr Owen :

and MORE than likely you did not waste your money - you have to also realize I am not your doctor - I do NOT have all your medical records, I do not have access to your ultrasound pictures, etc

Dr Owen :

So again as long as the bleeding has stopped then the ablation is successful and that an ablation is very appropriate -

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

but he never even mentioned the possibility of adenmyosis- I'd never even heard of it until I searched bulky uterus on the internet

Dr Owen :

I am sorry about what he did not mention- I can only tell you that I am not your doctor so I can only tell you what I do as an ob/gyn

Dr Owen :

but the BOTTOM LINE - if you have your bleeding controlled - the ablation has worked and nothing to worry about

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

so what else can cause bulky uterus?

Dr Owen :

NOTHING

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

so you're saying I have adenomyosis then?

Dr Owen :

Also the other thing- your doctor might have used the WRONG words

Dr Owen :

Please read what I am writing

Dr Owen :

YOU can ONLY diagnose Adenomyosis with TISSUE

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

he's a trained gyn- why would he use the wrong word??!!!!

Dr Owen :

And hence you ASSUME adenomosys with the word bulky

Dr Owen :

YOUR doctor might NOT have meant bulky - I was NOT there

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

but if he suspected it he should have said before suggesting the procedure surely???

Dr Owen :

Well no matter the Profession you are in PEOPLE use the wrong words all the time

Dr Owen :

YOU are asking me to tell you what you have - HOW CAN I DO THAT WITHOUT YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS

Dr Owen :

you are asking me to do the Impossible

Dr Owen :

You are also asking me to put words in someone elses mouth

Dr Owen :

If you feel you have been wronged - ask for your money back or sue your doctor

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

you were the one who told me bulky could only mean adenomyosis

Dr Owen :

Yes but also I said the bulky could have been the WRONG word by your doctor

Dr Owen :

I was NOT there

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

it was written in a letter to my local gp

Dr Owen :

so I can not describe what YOUR doctor saw

Dr Owen :

Well I can only tell you what I do as an ob/gyn for 20 years

Dr Owen :

and I have told you what to do

Dr Owen :

why are you so worried about this

Dr Owen :

Your doctor really did nothing wrong

Dr Owen :

bottom line - I don't want to argue with you - you are trying to argue with me

Dr Owen :

I'm not here to argue

Dr Owen :

I am here to help you

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

he let me pay out £3000 for a treatment without letting me know that IF I had adenomyosis the treatment might not be successful

Dr Owen :

so SUE your doctor if you are not satisfied - you have the right to do that

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

whatever- that's not helpful

Dr Owen :

but your doctor did absolutely nothing wrong

Dr Owen :

it is Perfectly acceptable to do an ablation for this

Dr Owen :

You are not bleeding any more - so I don't see a problem any more

Dr Owen :

all you want to do is argue over a word -

Dr Owen :

bottom line

Dr Owen :

your doctor treated you appropriately

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

yes if you explain to the patient what the odds are- he told me everything was normal until I saw a copy of the letter

Dr Owen :

and so there is nothing wrong with that

Dr Owen :

he sent you a letter with his findings - that is acceptable and nothing wrong

Dr Owen :

and you are not bleeding

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

If i'd had known the possibility of adenmyosis I might have agreed to the procedure so readily

Dr Owen :

so you got appropriately treated and that is all

Dr Owen :

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

it was only done 6 weeks ago- too early to tell if it's worked

Dr Owen :

YOU can NOT tell if you have Adenomyosis unless there is a biopsy or have a hysterectomy allready done and the tissue is on the microscope

Dr Owen :

Okay I have been saying the same thing over and over for 45 minutes

Dr Owen :

IF you are not happen then demand a hysterectomy- but your doctor SAVED YOU from having a hysterectomy

Dr Owen :

it is NOT needed all the time

Dr Owen :

and that is why ablations are a good thing

Dr Owen :

You want to argue

Dr Owen :

and I don't understand why

Dr Owen :

I have told you that your doctor did the right thing

Dr Owen :

If you are not satisfied with your doctor's care - then question your doctor - I can't tell you why your own doctor did something - THAT is YOUR responsibility to know before you ever have any procedure

Dr Owen :

so please don't make it my responsibility - I am not your doctor -

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCeLLENT for the 60 minutes of time I have given you

Dr Owen :

thank you

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

i would like this opened up to other doctors as I am not happy with your answer.

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

Dr Owen :

Take care.

Dr Owen :

have a great day

Dr Owen :

bye

Dr Owen :

.

JACUSTOMER-vtvi1gcc- :

I want it opened up to other doctors. I don't like your attitude and won't rate you.

Dr Owen :

it's open for any other doctor to answer.

Dr Owen :

good bye