Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

My symptoms have been irregular long bleeds (my periods

My symptoms have been irregular long vaginal bleeds (my periods were regular). I noticed also I have had a slight itchy patch come and go on my genital area one side. Relevant family history - my mum had a hysterecotomy following endometrial cancer, her dad died of bowel cancer. I have an Interuterine Tsafe IUD fitted a couple of years ago. I have had the following tests through the GP: internal swab (NAD), Urineanalysis (NAD), transvaginal ultrasound - womb ovaries etc looked fine from outside - could not examine the uterine lining due to IUD. Smear test, waiting for result. I am being referred to gynecology and may repeat ultrasound without IUD. I have lovely young children and chilling morbid fears about this being very serious. I want to seek out as much relevant information as I can. Lack of information / answers fuels my anxiety. Reviewing this information "what is your view ? Please provide facts - fear is not the problem, my way is to gain as much understanding as possible good and bad.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Do you have the Mirena IUD or a copper IUD?

Dr Owen :

Well more than likely you do NOT have a cancer...

Dr Owen :

but usually this is just hormonal related and if you have the Mirena IUD _ this is actually protective from getting endometrial cancer of the uterus - but it could also be causing irregular bleeding sometimes.

Dr Owen :

but usually to make sure - you might need to have the IUD removed and get an Endometrial biopsy done to make sure you do not have any precancerous or cancerous cells inside the uterus.

Dr Owen :

Other reasons for the bleeding could be a fibroid, you might also have a polyps.

Dr Owen :

Plus you might have a Thyroid condition as this too can cause irregular bleeding and this is tested with a TSH thyroid blood test -

Dr Owen :

And, then if you have weight problems - such as over weight or under weight this too can cause irregular bleeding as can Stress/ Anxiety or depression.

Dr Owen :

But MORE than likely you do not have any serious problems as most of the time this is easily treated.

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Customer:

Itchy patch

Dr Owen : Okay
Dr Owen : I would suggest following my suggesting.
Dr Owen : to help the itchy area a steroid cream such as hydrocortisone might help, but you might need a prescription strength tho Triamcinolone or clobesterol
Dr Owen : i wish you well
Dr Owen : if you have more questions please ask
Dr Owen : Are you still there.
Customer:

Thank you for your answer. It is a copper IUD. I have a few more questions to ask.

I understand it may not be cancer however do you think there could be a genetic link / marker considering my mother’s endometrial cancer and her dad’s bowel cancer?

I have had an itchy patch one side of my genital area that was palpable like a lump but is no longer obviously there. Could it be linked to the bleeding/ a sign of more serious condition?

How is it possible to tell the difference between bleeding from the womb and bleeding from the bladder?

Could it be a cancer that spreads quickly? If this were the case, within what time frame could it get more serious?

What other tests / checks would help?

Dr Owen :

No very Unlikely endometrial cancer - most endometrial cancer's are diet induced so NOT genetically linked.

Dr Owen :

No the itchy patch - I have described what that could be - NOT a sign of a more serious condition.

Dr Owen :

Unlikely any cancer - so do not think that way.

Dr Owen :

I would do the tests that I have discussed.

Dr Owen :

i wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Have a good evening

Dr Owen :

Do you have any additional questions - I've been working with you now for over 7 hours

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

bye