Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I have re-occuring bladder infections and have been told by

I have re-occuring bladder infections and have been told by a consultant that he thinks this is lack of estrogen post-menopause. Everytime my bowel is opened it causes stinging in my bladder Is this a normal system causing the infections?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

This could be a lack of estrogen because what could be happening is the tissue around the urethra is unable to prevent bacteria such as E. coli from entering into the urethra and then into the bladder.

Dr Owen :

so you can use an Estrogen cream such as Estrace or Vagifem suppositories twice per week to help with this.

Dr Owen :

Also, if you have urinary retention this could be causing it

Dr Owen :

Or if you have urinary leakage this should be causing this.

Dr Owen :

so If you have NOT seen an Urologist - I would suggest getting seen by an urologist to get thoroughly checked with a Cystoscope (camera) in the bladder too.

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :