Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Does BV always have an odour. If white discharge is not thrush

Does BV always have an odour. If white discharge is not thrush (checked out by doctor) and there is a lot of it, resulting in soreness but does not smell. What else can it be as its hard to know how to treat it. Same partner for 25 years.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

hello

Dr Owen :

hi

Dr Owen :

BV 'usually' has a fishy odor, but NOT always

Customer:

if test come back negative how do you treat this when you are told its not thrush or bv

Dr Owen :

I see you are 47, and a discharge could also be a bit of atrophy of the vagina - and hence he soreness you have

Dr Owen :

Then you can try an over the counter vaginal Moisturizer such as Replens

Dr Owen :

Also, you can try a prescription to an Estrogen suppository such as Vagifem

Customer:

yes i have had some atrophy and have tried lots of moisturisers they all result in build up and lots of discharge, really disgusting. i think i am in early menopause. cannot find a product that helps internally and exteranlly with dryness, then not sure what to do when heavy white disahrge happens

Customer:

tried all those they are vile and cause lots of leaking, and i mean a lot

Dr Owen :

Then what you should try is the Estrogen I mentioned

Dr Owen :

You mean you tried the estrogen

Customer:

i have tried vagifem and other estrogen creams they all build up and leak out.

Dr Owen :

did you deliver your children vaginally?

Customer:

i have no children due to 30 years of endrometeosis

Dr Owen :

oh...

Dr Owen :

What medications are you on?

Customer:

nothing

Dr Owen :

do you still have your uterus and ovaries ?

Customer:

yes

Dr Owen :

I would check to see What the what white discharge is - THIS requires a culture, a biopsy and just looking at the Cellular structure Under a microscope.....

Dr Owen :

That way you can tell what is going on.

Dr Owen :

You might also have this due to a structural problem - and hence sometimes solving this might just require a hysterectomy (removing the uterus and since you have endometriosis, also removing the ovaries at the same time).

Customer:

i have been to the gp and gyn many times and just had swabs that always come back negitrive, so what else can i ask then to do. the culture bit i understand

Dr Owen :

not just swabs.

Dr Owen :

You need

Dr Owen :

1. Culture

Dr Owen :

2. Biopsy

Customer:

i have been to the gyn about hysterectomy, but it is out of the question as i cannot tolerate hormones

Dr Owen :

3. Have the pathologist LOOK at the cellular content of the material UNDER the microscope

Dr Owen :

You do not need hormones

Dr Owen :

you are 47 - you do not need HRT - hormone replacement therapy

Customer:

not sure what else to say, what about the skin around the vulva does this cause any type of discharge or does it alway come from within

Dr Owen :

if you get symptoms of menopause after a hysterectomy - these symptoms CAN be controlled without hormones

Dr Owen :

When you are going through perimenopause / menopause you can get this discharge - - due to the sloughing off of the skin

Dr Owen :

and it sounds like that is what you have going on.

Dr Owen :

ON the outside - the Vulva area - you can to use a steroid cream such as mycolog, triamcinolone, or clobesterol to help

Customer:

any ideas about the inside to help vaginal atrophy inside

Dr Owen :

The inside -

Dr Owen :

1. you said you don't like the estrogens - there are many of them - vagifem - this is usually a suppository - so it should not be messy - I have never had anyone complain about this -

Dr Owen :

2. There are the estrogen creams - Estrace or Premarin

Dr Owen :

3. There are Probiotics such as RepHresh

Dr Owen :

4. VAginal moisturizers -

Dr Owen :

5. YOU can try Boric Acid Vaginal suppositories too -

Dr Owen :

Also you can try herbs - such as Chasteberry, Vitex, Black Cohosh or Dong quai - some women have success with that

Customer:

thats very interesting as there are loads of forums on the internet saying thate women are experiancing the same thing with these creams and the same with replens. i will have a look at the other things you mention

Dr Owen :

I understand - I read these forums too -

Dr Owen :

and I understand it is very frustrating

Dr Owen :

but do have your ob/gyn do what I have suggested..

Dr Owen :

I have taken care of many women over the years who have been treated for many things

Dr Owen :

and the common problem I see is that they do not have a 'clear' diagnosis

Dr Owen :

so the thing here is getting that Clear Diagnosis -

Dr Owen :

then once you have an Outstanding diagnosis - treatment is much easier than guessing what you have

Customer:

yes i see that, i don't know where you are from but trying to see GP etc when things are at there worst is impossible in the UK , I can wait 6 weeks for an appiontment. but I will continue to try and suggest what you have said.

Dr Owen :

Try to be understanding - it does take time, and finding a doctor who is compassionate to help you will work

Dr Owen :

I'm in the US

Dr Owen :

Getting into see a doc in the UK is just as horrendous in the US too -

Customer:

Thats true this situation for me has gone on for 4 years. I have no life at the moment and its slowing eating away at my marriage. But I am determined to find and answwer

Dr Owen :

finding an answer is the best thing

Dr Owen :

but try those things that I have suggested -

Dr Owen :

you can print them out

Dr Owen :

and try the herbs - some women do have success with that

Customer:

I will thank you. I thinks its time to go now. thankyou

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn