Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I AM 50 YEAR OLD WOMAN WITH REGULAR PERIODS UP UNTIL OCTOBER

Customer Question

I AM 50 YEAR OLD WOMAN WITH REGULAR PERIODS UP UNTIL OCTOBER 2013 WITH NOTHING FOR THREE MONTHS .

MY PERIOD CAME BACK ON 20TH JANUARY 2014 AND HAS NOW BEEN VERY HEAVY FOR 14 DAYS WITH NO SIGNS OF IT STOPPING .

IS IT HEAVY BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE ONE FOR FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : This sounds like you are in the perimenopausal phase
Dr Owen : Once you do not have a period for 12 months in a row, then you would be in full menopause.
Dr Owen : BUT, to be sure that all is well this does need to be evaluated
Dr Owen : This could be also due to a thyroid condition, a polyp, a fibroid, an infection, or a possible precancer or a cancer ( very unlikely to be a cancer, but it should be evaluted).
Dr Owen : So what you should do is the following.
Dr Owen : 1. You need a pelvic exam with a PAP smear
Dr Owen : 2. Get a TSH thyroid blood test
Dr Owen : 3. You need a Pelvic Ultrasound
Dr Owen : 4. And, then I would suggest an Endometrial biopsy of the inside of the uterus - which is done by an ob/gyn in the office
Dr Owen : I hope this helps
Dr Owen : If you have more questions, please ask
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLEBT for helping you
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

WILL BLEEDING STOP BY ITSELF .SURELY BLEEDING LIKE THIS FOR 14 DAYS CANNOT CONTINUE

Dr Owen : The bleeding can stop by itself - but it would be wise to get seen so that you can get mediation to stop the bleeding so that you do not become anemic (loss of too much blood).
Dr Owen : You don't have to wait to be seen
Dr Owen : but 14 days is a long time to bleed and hence time to get seen so you can get the bleeding stopped
Customer:

IF ALL ABOVE EXAMINATIONS OK HOW LONG WILL BLEEDING GO ON FOR OR WILL IT JUST STOP

Dr Owen : Since you are still bleeding and it has been 14 days - you might not stop bleeding until you get medication to help such as Progesterone or Estradiol to stop the bleeding
Dr Owen : If there is no slowing down of the bleeding - then you will need help
Dr Owen : IF the bleeding is slowing down, then it should stop in the next few days
Customer:

THANK YOU

Dr Owen : Also, if you are having symptoms such as a Headache, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, etc.... then you should get seen today
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : Thank you
Dr Owen : We appreciate positive ratings and feedback for helping you
Dr Owen : Thank you
Dr Owen : CAn you see the EXCELLENT button