Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

My left labia(lip) is very swollen and now has a cream and

My left labia(lip) is very swollen and now has a cream and yellow puss cover it . My grion is now painful to touch, any idea of what this could be ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Does this appear to be lower on the left labia where it is starting from?

Dr Owen :

Like you have a cyst of fluid there?

Customer: It is upper and middle it feels like a lump , the fluid is in blister form that is on top of the libus
Dr Owen :

hi

Dr Owen :

do you shave?

Customer: Libia sorry
Customer: Yes
Dr Owen :

I understand

Dr Owen :

you do shave?

Customer: Yes
Dr Owen :

Is this in the area you shave?

Customer: No
Dr Owen :

is this in the area that you shave?

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

So you probably have what is known as a Bartholin's Cyst - and these can be QUITE painful

Dr Owen :

and if the bathing is not helping and you can not or you are unable to drain any of the fluid, then this cyst / blister needs to be opened to drain the fluid -

Dr Owen :

Essentially what you have going on - is that there is a blockage of the fluid to escape and hence you this back up of fluid

Dr Owen :

so IF you can massage this enough to drain the fluid and push the fluid out, then that is really the treatment

Dr Owen :

but if you can not do this yourself - then you will need help to drain this - and usually a small incision is made to drain it and then all the fluid comes out

Customer: Oh right ok , I was worried it may be herpes at first , but I have looked at picture it did not seem the same . Can people experience these often
Dr Owen :

this does not sound like herpes

Dr Owen :

usually herpes is small LITTLE blisters

Dr Owen :

usually a lot of them

Customer: Ok ok , I thought the puss could be blister but it all seems to joined together . Many thanks for your help
Dr Owen :

you are very welcome

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

We appreciate positive ratings and feedback for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you