Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I was diagnosed with having a bulky adrenal. I have a low

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with having a 'bulky adrenal'. I have a low potassium and iron in my blood.
do you think they have anything to do with one another ? Is there a remedy for my situation, because I am very worried.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

What are you symptoms?

Have you had an MRI of your Adrenal glands?

How did they diagnose a Buolky Adrenal ?

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
This really depends on what type of tumor this is, and what type of hormones it is producing -
For example if this is a Pheochromocytoma - then usually you would get spikes in your blood pressure that are very high, and you can get headaches and just not feel very good.

Also, you might have an elevated DHEA-S level - that can lead to problems with metabolism.

Other problems include cortisol levels - which can lead not only to metabolic problems, but also to problems with immune problems.

So, it is importable to note exactly WHERE in the Adrenal gland there is a tumor and also what are your symptoms.

Also low or high iron - usually has nothing to do with an adrenal tumor -

Potassium - that could be due to cortisol problems...
Usually these tumors are not cancerous - and then if this is just ONE side - you just remove the Adrenal gland on ONE side - you leave the other side alone which should be normal.

I hope this helps
Please click on EXCELLENT and I will be happy to answer additional questions.