Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi, I am a student nurse from Scotland, I have recently been

Hi, I am a student nurse from Scotland, I have recently been started on a 6month course of Triptorelin (Decapeptyl SR, Gonapeptyl Depot) 3.75 mg IM injection (once a month) and a daily HRT tablet (tibolone 2.5mg) The consultant that started me on this regime told me to start immediately but when I read the information it stated that the injection should be given within the first five days of a menstrual cycle. Feeling unsure I listened to what the consultant advised and took the injection anyway. A few weeks later I had a period and did not have the second injection due to a problem at the pharmacy and some bad weather. I thought that I must have missed the window for this injection so I have waited until I get another period to restart this course, have you got any advice or insights that could guide me in the right way? Many thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Why are you taking the injection - do you have endometriosis?

Dr Owen :

hi

Customer: I believe that is what the consultant thinks, he had planned to do a D&C to confirm and hopefully alleviate some pain but I have had some serious problems with reactions to anaesthesia
Dr Owen :

YOu don't need a D&C for endometriosis and if you have endometriosis - then the injection will TAKE care of the problem of pain and it is EXPECTED for you to bleed when you did after you had the injection - that is common .

Dr Owen :

And then you do NOT need to get another period to get another injection - but you can get the injection at ANY time whether or not you have had a period.

Dr Owen :

Also, there is an injection that is 11.25mg - and that is an injection that lasts for 3 months vice the 1 month injection you got

Dr Owen :

so you can get the next injection - it is perfectly fine and safe to do so

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Customer: Do you have any idea why the consultant might have mentioned the D&C
Dr Owen :

No, but you do NOT need a D&C - it is NOT needed

Dr Owen :

at your age you do NOT need a D&C

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

and the Tibolone is given so you do not have any side effects from the injection

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

IF you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

so you do not need to wait for another period

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

Customer: I understand why both of them are given and how they work. I just was a little unsure on the timings and the importance of the timing. I also was trying to find some information on the risks associated with these medications. I asked the consultant that prescribed them about future fertility and he said that it shouldn't affect that? I have recently been experiencing very intense period like pains. Is that just side effects or is that from the wait between injections? I'm sorry to ask so many questions
Dr Owen :

Timing does NOT matter at all -

Dr Owen :

and fertility is not affected for the future

Dr Owen :

The injection SHOULD be able to treat the pain that you have been having

Customer: Okay, thank you kindly for your time
Dr Owen :

You are very welcome

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn