Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi there I had copper iud fitted 7 weeks ago but lately I have

Hi there I had copper iud fitted 7 weeks ago but lately I have been having chills and general fatigue....I have also noticed a yellow coloured discharge...could there have been a infection.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : Hi
Customer:

Dr Owen : Sometimes you can get what is known as an Actinomycoces infection with the Copper IUD
Dr Owen : This can be easily treated with an antibioitc known as Doxycycline
Dr Owen : Hopefully you are not having High fevers -meaning a fever greater than 101
Dr Owen : Also the symptoms you have can be due to a thyroid condition - so that should be checked too - and that can be checked with a TSH thyroid blood test
Dr Owen : I hope that helps
Dr Owen : if you have more questions, please ask
Dr Owen : If no more questions, please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

Hi there I dont have fever just the chills and general backache also

Customer:

I have trimethoprim would tgis work

Dr Owen : This might not be an infection - but also sometimes the Copper IUD can cause a discomfort and sometimes it takes a few months for this discomfort to go away - and using medications such as Ibuprofen or Naprosyn can help too
Dr Owen : and you can ADD Paracetamol to this too
Customer:

Wat about the yellow discharge

Dr Owen : That can be due to the irritation of the IUD and the uterus, or a possibly infection
Dr Owen : And since you are not having a fever, if you have an infection it is not a serious one -
Dr Owen : So try the Ibuprofen or Naparosyn and then also get this checked for an infection - because if you have one - then a simple antibiotic such as doxycycline would be all you need
Customer:

Just arms and legs feel so heavy too..feels like a have a flu without a fever very strange

Dr Owen : You might just have a general viral infection too -
Dr Owen : which also given that the flu season is at its peak - this could be it too
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

Possibly sinxe my wee girl has influenza at min..also my bp is 113/93 is tgis high

Dr Owen : BP is fine
Dr Owen : and it could be the flu
Dr Owen : but since you do not have a fever that is a good thing
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : IF you have more questions, please ask
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Dr Owen : thank you
Customer:

The shivering is so annoying

Dr Owen : I very much understand
Customer:

Hopwfully the fire sorts it..can ye have flu with no fever

Dr Owen : I would check to see if you have an infection - because if you do it would be easy to treat
Customer:

Ok I will my gp to check for this....how do ye test for it?

Dr Owen : IT is a simple swab of the vagina - so NOT painful
Dr Owen : and do not worry'
Customer:

Thats easier said than done I worry bout everything!

Dr Owen : Please do not worry - this is NOT something to worry about
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : This is all very simple to diagnose and treat
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

Thanks for the advice..also feeling nausea too

Dr Owen : get this checked and diagnosed - that way you can be treated appropriately
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

Ok so it doesn't warrant a call to er

Customer:

I should wait for my own doc?

Dr Owen : You can wait for an appointment
Dr Owen : this is not an emergency at this point since you do NOT have a high fever
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you today
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

Ok I wil call to see my doc about this..would trimethoprim work

Dr Owen : It might IF you have a bacteria infection
Dr Owen : but do get a diagnosis first- there is no reason to fear going to a doctor, there really is not
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Have a good evening and do try to relax too as you might also have a bit of anxiety with this too
Customer:

I know...its the swab I dont like....I had urinalysis but it was clear..itvwouldnt usually show up vaginal infection would it

Dr Owen : You should get a vaginal swab -
Dr Owen : it really is just anxiety that is keeping you from doing that
Dr Owen : I'm an ob/gyn - that is what I do-
Customer:

Yes I also have anxiety disorder too grrr

Dr Owen : this is SUCH a simple thing to get done - please do not make it worse for yourself - get this diagnosed so that you can get properly treated - IT IS ALWAYS Worse if you do have something that you could have gotten treated sooner - so you should get seen within the next week
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Customer:

Ok thanks doctor

Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : That would be appreciated for helping you today
Dr Owen : thank you
Dr Owen : Can you see the Excellent button?
Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : Are you there
Dr Owen : ?
Customer:

Yeah I see it

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn