Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

My wife has had a constant for 6 weeks (maybe one day

Customer Question

My wife has had a constant period for 6 weeks (maybe one day here and there with no sign) and is now incredibly tired, aching and moody. Her GP ordered blood tests which came back normal apart from an elevated white blood count and abnormal liver alkaline result as well as raised hormone levels. A very recent cervical smear has come back clear but an internal ultrasound is due to be done next week as one carried out last week was unclear due to being done straight after the cervical smear.
She has a history of an ovarian cyst which was removed 5 years ago along with the left ovary and Fallopian tube.
She has always suffered from irregular and painful periods but this is the first time she has had a constant painful period (which briefly stopped with a high dose of Norethisterone but then came straight back when terminated after one week).
Please can you give any advice
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
What is her age?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is 30
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
What is she using for this bleeding?
Has she been treated at all?
Is she using birth control?
Is she possibly pregnant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As mentioned she was given a high dose of mini pill to stop the bleeding in order to have the cervical scan but stopped afterwards and the bleeding started immediately after. She is not using birth control and is not pregnant.
So far no treatment has been given as her GP is waiting for results of a second internal US although the first one did not show any worrying signs. Simply they want to do a second one as the first wasn't very clear due to being done after the cervical smear.
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
Since she was given the 'mini pill' - why did she not continue this since it was working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was given a high dose (3 per day for 7 days) just to stop the bleeding for the internal examination as a short term solution.
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
But why did she not continue with the minipill since it was working?

IS she taking any other medications, pills, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure you understood. It was a high dose of mini pill to temporarily stop the bleeding, obviously not a dose she can continue with. This is not the question. The question is what could be causing the continuous period which has not let up for six weeks?
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
No, I understand the question - I'm just curious as to why they did not continue to treat - I will offer a good treatment - but One more thing - are you trying to get pregnant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think they did not continue the mini pill because it was short term whilst waiting for blood test and internal US results to see if there was anything else underlying to explain the irregular periods. We are not using contraception and have sex very regularly but she was told when her ovarian cyst and ovary was removed that it was unlikely she would get pregnant. Just for a little more background, she has had irregular periods from the age of 13 and in the last few years has missed 3 or 4 periods in a row without a positive pregnancy test. There was a suspected miscarriage four years ago but never confirmed but this is the first time the periods have been non stop.
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
II have to take care of a patient - and then let me write your answer. Promise to be back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well the possibilities for this include a thyroid problem, a fibroid, a polyp, HORMONAL, a possible dysplasia (precancer) or a cancer - but given she is 30 and all that you have said, MORE than likely this is JUST hormonal because the Minipill hormones stopped the bleeding and the bleeding returned when this was stopped. So the best way to treat this is with the Mirena IUD, especially at her age, and if you do not want to currently get pregnant.

More than likely the Ultrasound will be normal too
I would check a thyroid TSH blood test just to make sure this is not a thyroid issue.
I wish you well
Please click on EXCELLENT
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

I wish you well.
Please click on EXCELLENT
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
i was hoping that was a mistake when you gave me a poor rating....
You know I gave you my very good time to give you a very good answer, PLUS I gave you a treatment method of which you did not ask for.

I would appreciate credit for my answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The reason for my rating was that I gave you all of the information such us blood tests, scans etc and had already ruled out cancer and polyp. With no disrespect to yourself, I got the impression that your patient you had to attend to during our interaction was more a quick internet search for an answer to my question because I would have got exactly the same from a health forum but for free.
For info I studied gynaecology for 2 years after my initial five year medical degree but was hoping for an answer for someone who knew a lot more than myself which is most but don't feel you provided this.
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
A 5 year medical degree - never heard of that..
If you truly knew gynecology, why would you be asking me.
And If you were a true doctor you would know that an in -person patient is priority
I came back to help you as quick possible to help you
I gave you a TRUE answer - and NOT an internet
Also, a true doctor also knows that and writes and asks questions and then ensures that that is the correct answer from the person they are trying to help.
So when I am asking questions I am reaffirming then.
And a minipill is not a high dose pill - so I'm a bit confused when you spoke of that
Also norethindrone is not a minipill - they are different - but either way - your wife was not given the appropriate treatment
and, as a physician why were you allowing your wife to bleed for 6 weeks, and to become symptomatic anemic - that makes no sense - you should know as a physician that is not healthy.
So, I told you exactly what the problem is and hence what is needed is a CONSTANT treatment and hence that is why the Mirena IUD is the correct treatment.
Now, at 30 I am sure you do not want to do an UAE, a Hysterectomy or an Ablation
I wish you the best
Please take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your answer. Firstly, I never said I was a physician. I studied medicine and took a course in gynaecology. (By the way a medical degree in the UK is sadly only 5 years now - no where near long enough)
As I clearly mentioned, I am not an expert in gynaecology which is why I sought your advice.
The mini pill is not a high dose pill but can be given as such (3 times a day to stop menstrual bleeding) and is often prescribed for people going on holiday or getting married to temporarily stop an unwanted period.
Lastly, although not a physician, but very knowledgable in the world of medicine, I did not allow my wife to bleed for six weeks which is why I made sure that she went to the GP and had the test that I outlined to you.
You obviously only half read what people write to you and I am beginning to wonder what sort of doctor you are. Correction, I think I know. SHIT because of that comment. Of course I took her to a doctor you MORON.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bet you are looking the mini pill on the internet now
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
Your wife was SADLY mistreated and I gave you the absolute correct information

I have told you exactly what should be done

I challenge you to find EXACTLY what I gave you on the internet that is not my verbage.

You want your wife to get better - I would suggest what I have given you

BY the way - I have 12 years of training in what I do.

And, I did not give you an Internet answer.

Good luck
I would credit for the time and for the correct help I have given you
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

And, I did not give you an Internet// answer.

Good luck
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Good luck
Thank you..
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Good luck
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
I do know what the minipill is.
I have not given you an internet answer
I have you given you very valid and correct medical information
And this is not something I need to look up since this is something I treat everyday with hyndreds of women every year.
I have given you the Exact information that is needed.
And, going to a GP for this when your wife has Symptomatic Anemia - that is a big mistake.
You know you should be treated by an ob/gyn for this
good luck
and you can stop the poor ratings - I'm just trying to help your wife
bye
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
Darren,

I hope your wife is doing well.

Good luck
Dr Owen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doctor Owen,

Maybe I was a little harsh on you for which I apologise unreservedly.
However, I did not appreciate your comments about being mistreated and the fact we should have gone to a specialist.

I do not know in what country you practice as a physician but in the UK you can only access a specialist through a GP.

As for your comment about myself letting my wife suffer for so long, if you had read my questions you would have understood that I did indeed take her to see a doctor and insisted that she had the appropriate tests carried out (smear, swabs, full bloods, internal US) so I take offence to you accusing me of "allowing my wife to bleed for 6 weeks"
I also mentioned that I was not a physician but studied medicine for 5 years but never became a doctor as I eventually followed a different path but I do have a good knowledge of a lot of medical aspects but will always be willing to be corrected (in fact, more than happy to be so that I can learn) but not by your tone doctor and hence the bad ratings which I will no longer insist on.
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
good luck to you then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If that is your answer, I.e. No apology for your attitude before then not only will I continue the bad rating, I will formally complain to Just Answer
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
You have got me very confused - so your point here was to go through and give me a bad service on everything here.
All I was trying to do was help you, explain to you everything, and help your wife.
I think you have every thing wrong here - again I was just trying to help you.
But I see all you wanted to do is come and continue to give me a bad service
I wish Your wife the best
Have a very good evening
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was complaining about the way you spoke to me which no paying customer would accept from any service. I apologised to you about being harsh with yourself and simply asked you to admit and do me the same honour. Obviously this is above you.
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
I am still very confused -
good luck - I will have this question closed.
Again, All I was telling you was what I wrote - and I'm sorry you did not understand me - and I'm sorry your wife had to go to a GP for this - but what I have given you was the right and correct information.
Again, good luck to your wife, I wish her the best.
I will now have this question closed - you do not need to respond back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will respond because, like yourself, I think there was a misunderstanding. I do now actually believe that, despite the fact I do not think you understood everything, you did answer the question to the best of your knowledge which, over the next week, will hopefully prove you correct. Therefore, once again, I apologise for my earlier comments and will be more than happy to come back to you with news that you were correct and will, in that case, give you an excellent rating. But, you have still not understood that my later dissatisfaction was more to do with your attitude towards me.
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well I did not mean to have it come off as an attitude - and what makes doctors like me upset is the way that doctors who really have no business in treating these problems treat their patients. Ob/Gyn problems should only be treated by ob/gyn's and not by GP's - as Ob/Gyn's are actually considered worldwide as Primary care physicians to women -
Have a good night
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apology accepted. I too wish you an excellent evening and have changed my opinion of you and apologise once again. I hope we can put this behind us and that I can call on you again if needed.
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
You too - you do not need to answer back - as I have to answer back to clear my que
Have a good night