Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

can i still get ovarian cancer after having a hysterectomy

can i still get ovarian cancer after having a hysterectomy 32 years ago i am 65 years old and my ovaries were left in
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

If you still have your ovaries, the risk of ovarian cancer is about 5% risk, which is about the same as all women - so this is why it is suggested why you still do pelvic exams on an annual basis even after a hysterectomy.

Dr Owen :

hi

Dr Owen :

So, a good way of checking this - is to get a good pelvic exam and you can also ask your doctor for an ultrasound too of the ovaries - MORE than likely nothing is wrong and when the ultrasound is done, they probably will NOT see anything, because ovaries in women of 65 are usually extremely small due to menopause.

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :