Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Just a bit of background first, I am 33 and got married a few

Just a bit of background first, I am 33 and got married a few months ago. My husband and I have decided we would like to start trying for a baby soon. I have suffered from anxiety before and am a bit of a hypochondriac. I decided before we started it would be a good idea for me to read lots and look at potential problems before we started (my GP has since told me not to do this as it increases my anxiety) so I read it is goof to chart ovulation etc. My period are normally regular, between 27-32 days with the ocassional 33 or 34.
Typically the month I have been charting everything it seems to be all over the place though. I did bbt and only found a shift after day 22. Id had a positive OPK test on day 19 though and EWCM on day 20. I am now on day 35 and no period. This is making me extremely anxious that something is wrong. I have done 3 pregnancy tests already, the last one just now and all negative so I am not pregnant. I have had sore breasts for the last week. Surely I should have had my period now even if I did ovulate late at day 20 this month?
I am really worried now that I could be pre menopausal! My husband is saying not to worry and I have probably stressed my body out by reading so much into infertility and checking up on it so much this month - but is this really possible? I am 5 ft 7 and 10 st 12 so ok weight range and no other medical problems. Had all hormone levels tested a few months back and thyroid and all came back ok.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well I have to agree with your doctor - do NOT read all these books on what can go wrong - that is the wrong thing to do because for someone with anxiety already - all this does increase the 'Stress' and hence this increases the cortisol level and hence this can cause you not to ovulate...

Dr Owen :

So to HELP yourself - find ways to decrease your stress, anxiety and hypochondria - this is really going to help you to get pregnant.

Dr Owen :

for someone who has fairly normal menstrual cycles - IF you can decrease your anxiety you will have regular periods and you will be able to get pregnnat.

Dr Owen :

About the ONLY test I can possibly tell you to check is an AMH - Antimullerian Hormone - this will check the viability of your eggs and MORE than likely at your age - the eggs are normal and viable

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you.

Customer:

Is there anything I can do to bring on the period this month, I am pretty sure I ovulated on day 20 so my luteal phase should only be 14 days right?

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

you do NOT need to have a period - it is entirely OK for you to miss a period

Dr Owen :

the luteal phase is ALWAYS 14 days in all humans no matter what

Dr Owen :

so TRY to relax -

Dr Owen :

your ANXIETY is the root cause of this - and probably the reason why you might not have a period this cycle

Dr Owen :

so try not to worry about this

Dr Owen :

And, if you have to, then you should think about using an antianxiety medication if necessary such as lexapro which is perfectly safe to use in pregnancy.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you

Dr Owen :

good luck on your Anxiety and Hypochondriasis

Dr Owen :

that was not very nice to give me a poor rating as I was helping you

Dr Owen :

good luck to you

Dr Owen :

More than likely you will not get pregnant in your current situation.

Dr Owen :

I can help you further

Dr Owen :

Take care

Dr Owen :

bye

Dr Owen :

If you would like help and what to do, please ask

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.My gp and nurse have already told me luteal phase can vary and this dr says otherwise, I would like to work with another expert please
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry.

Acutally when you look in all the Infertility literature the Human Being has a Luteal phase of 14 days - that does not differ amoung human beings. The FIRST part of the cycle is what differs - that is called the follicular phase (ovary) or the Proliferative phase (uterus) - and this can differ - that is how ultrasounds can accurately measure a fetus in the first trimester and the ultrasound studies from years ago - proved that the Luteal phase for human beings is 14 days - so your GP and NP I am sorry really do not know what they are talking about (plus your GP and NP have not studied ob/gyn material appropriately in depth to understand this function of the human body).

And, as for you anxiety - this is extremely well known that Anxiety CAN and DOES prevent anovulation - this is very common and it is something that you really should look into - and treat this - this can be treated empiracally too.

I wish you well
And, please do not let your anxiety and hypochondriasis take control of you -
Take care
Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I originally posted this question to Dr Norm as I had been working with him before and would like to continue to do so, I requested that I work with another expert earlier so please can this be re-listed. Many Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Since you had a positive OPK on day 19 and EWCM on day 20, I suspect that you ovulated on day 21, especially if the EWCM was gone by about day 22. That would mean that day 35 is day 14 of the luteal phase, and I wouldn't be surprised if you got your period today or tomorrow.

I think that the luteal phase is usually 12-14 days, but occasionally can be longer than that. If you don't get a period in the next couple of days, I suspect that you didn't ovulate this month. The OPK cervical mucous changes mean that you're set up to ovulate, but ovulation doesn't always occur. If ovulation didn't occur, then it's hard to predict just when your next period will start.

Women past the age of 30 do tend to ovulate less regularly than younger women. That doesn't mean that you'll have a problem getting pregnant, as long as you do ovulate most months.

I agree with Dr. Owen that anxiety and worry can stress you out and affect ovulation. Sometimes women get pregnant easier when they don't think too much about it. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.