Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I am 62 and have a complex cyst on my left ovary. After having

I am 62 and have a complex cyst on my left ovary. After having ultrasound, the decission is to remove my ovaries by laparoscopy and biopsy the cyst while I am still anethestized. While I am many years past menopause, I am aware that the ovaries still produce testosterone. What is the recommended dose of testosterone recommended as supplementation - I am assuming as a transdermal preparation?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Hello and I see you are in Israel.

Dr Owen :

Let me ask you - why are you asking for testosterone - do you mean Estrogen instead?

Dr Owen :

What is the reason for the testosterone?

Dr Owen :

And, are you going to keep your uterus too?

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

are you there?

Dr Owen :

Hi, here is a dosing schedule for you ...

Dr Owen :

testosterone 150 μg/day patch applied twice/week

Dr Owen :

In addition, you might also consider removing the uterus too so that you can SAFELY use Estrogen too - as the Estrogen will compliment the testosterone

Dr Owen :

The Testosterone is for sexual libido and sexual desire

Dr Owen :

While the Estrogen is for the tissue response and feeling

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

If you wish to ask more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer:

Hi, I have my uterus and ovaries and have never taken any hormones during menopause other than soy extract capsules. However I am going to have an oophorectomy done in 2 weeks because of a complex ovarian cyst on my left ovary and the need to biopsy it. I know that the ovaries at this stage are important for production of testosterone - steady for life - and loss of my ovaries can lead to tiredness, loss of lebido etc, so I thought that it would be a good idea to use transdermal testosterone low dose.

Dr Owen :

That is correct

Dr Owen :

and YES low dose testosterone is good - but also USING a bioidentical estradiol too transdermal patch would be very helpful too

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

and the dosing I have given you should work

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer:

So my question is what dose of testosterone to use? My gyne does not believe it is necessary, but I am a young, very fit, sexually active 62 year old and don't want my life to be down hill from here on in because of hormonal imbalance.

Dr Owen :

I wrote it above - did you not see it

Customer:

What dose is low dose?

Dr Owen :

Here it is again:

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

PUT it this way - you want to use a dose that MAKES YOU feel good - so this is not something that has to do with TOO low of a dose.

Customer:

oh okay I see 150mch/day patch

Dr Owen :

BUT TOO HIGH of a dose can cause problems such as deepening your voice and increasing risk of a heart attach

Dr Owen :

so you do NOT want to use too much testosterone

Customer:

I am aware of that. It's just to make me feel good

Dr Owen :

GREAt

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn