Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

history of heavy periods (for me) with bloody discharge after

history of heavy periods (for me) with bloody discharge after for 1 year. no other intermenstrual bleeding. not menopausal. age 40. pelvic mri done in sept. office hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy done last week. biopsy came back with "a single fragment of decidulised stroma is present containing intermediate-type trophoblast cells. last birth 4 years in may. no chance of pregnancy since then (keeping track of periods etc) serum hcg test tone last week and came back as < 1.2 or negative.i have pushed for a full D&C under general anaesthetic for monday. very scared...what could this be???
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : THis sounds just like a heavy period due to excess and NOT a cancer- and NOTHING to worry about - this is quite common to see - and honestly the BEST thing to do at the TIME of you having the D&C - ASK your doctor to do an Ablation - this cauterizes the inside of your uterus and hence will stop this bleeding.
Dr Owen : Another option is to use a Mirena IUD _ as this would help tremendously too from your description.
Dr Owen : I hope this helps
Dr Owen : If you have more questions, please ask
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : Thank you
Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : Are you there?
Dr Owen : IF you have more questions, please ask
Dr Owen : But overall you do not need to worry when the HCG is negative
Dr Owen : And to stop the bleeding - I would strongly suggest an Ablation such as the Novasure immediately after the D&C
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you today
Dr Owen : Thank you