Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I had unprotected 3 days before my expected date.

I had unprotected sex 3 days before my expected period date. My period is now late and I have none of my usual period symptoms such as cramping sore breasts etc. I have a normal cycle and would have thought I ovulated round the middle of the month so the chances of me getting pregnant 3 days before my period were nil. I've taken a pregnancy test which is negative but then it's only 5 days since I had unprotected sex and I understand it can take two weeks before pregnancy hormone is noticeable. Is there any chance I could be pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : Let me read your question
Dr Owen : Do you have a regular period every month and you are sure you have missed your period?
Customer: Yes to both even have a period tracker on my phone which gets period to the date am two days late only time late before was when I was pregnant with my daughter who is 14
Dr Owen : Well it is possible if you had sex about 2 weeks ago
Dr Owen : But having sex just a few days PRIOR to your period - that would be very UNLIKELY that you are pregnant - and you are just late,
Customer: No sex was only 5 days ago that's why I'm confused sex was 3 days before due date is it not impossible to get pregnant 3 days before period?
Dr Owen : IF you are late at 7 days and still no period, and the pregnancy test is negative, you are not pregnant, and you probably just missed ovulation this cycle - that is very common and NOTHING to worry about
Dr Owen : but I would repeat the pregnancy test in 5 days
Customer: Ok great thanks
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : thank you