Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

my wife is having contractions every 4-5 minutes lasting for

my wife is having contractions every 4-5 minutes lasting for about 1 min. However she has broken her ankle so this is when her leg is raise about the level of her heart. When she puts it on the floor they are nearer 3 mins

does having her leg raised affect the contractions
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Not necessarily
She is pregnant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes she is 41 weeks

my wife is 41 weeks pregnant, unfortunately she has broken her ankle and it is in plaster. Therefore it needs to be kept raised so it is above her heart

does this affect contractions, when her leg is raised it is 4-5 mins apart and last 40 seconds, when her leg is on the floor they are about 3 mins apart and last 1 minute.

however it can only stay like this for about 10 minutes

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
I'm an ob/gyn... the other doctor does not treat ob/gyn care.
When is your wife's due date exactly?

Is she bleeding?

Is the baby moving around?

And, and does she have any fluid leaking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is not bleeding, the baby is moving a bit but not as much as before

yes she has had 2 or 3 shows

her due date was 20th feb

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
So you mean her contractions decrease to every 3 minutes from the every 4 to 5?

Has she been hydrating today?

And when you say 'shows' you mean bloody show, and was that today?

Also is this her first baby?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes they decrease when her leg is not raised.

yes

yes

yes

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
sorry for all the questions - how long has she been having these contractions ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that is ok, it means you want all the details

she started them at 6pm yesterday and they went all through the night ,then they slowed this morning and started again mid afternoon

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
And, when was the last time she had her cervix checked - and if so, how far dilated was she?

And, is she also feeling pressure?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she hasn't had it checked

there is pressure from the baby pushing down

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Well given she is having contractions like this - I would Usually advise my Own patients to come into the hospital.

Also, where I practice and also at most places around the world, we usually do NOT let a woman leave the hospital once she is 41 weeks - especially if they are contracting, having some bloody show, and having pressure - this to me means that your wife is indeed in labor - she probably is in early labor (what we call latent labor), but if she is contracting like this PLUS if the cervix is at least 4 to 5 cm or more, then she is in active labor and this would require her to be at the hospital for many reasons.

I hope her ankle heals - and it would be best to take your time since she has a broken ankle than to rush things too -

So, my advice would be to go to the hospital and have her get checked and MORE than likely she will stay to deliver the baby tonight or at least within the next 24 hours.

Please if you have more questions, please ask
If no more questions, please click on Excellent for helping you today
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn