Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I am 27 weeks pregnant on Thursday, since Sunday afternoon

I am 27 weeks pregnant on Thursday, since Sunday afternoon I have had really bad pain from my right lower ribs around to my back. I have had some comfort from a water bottle but I am really struggling to sleep and find a comfortable position both sitting and laying down, it is constant throughout the day and night. Baby is wriggling about but the movements are lower down in my tummy so i don't think it is the baby pushing up on my ribs.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Customer:

hi

Dr Owen :

This could be a few things and they should be checked.

Dr Owen :

1. This could be an urinary tract problem ranging from an infection, to a stone, to a dilation of the ureter (the tube that connects the kidney to the bladder).

Dr Owen :

2. This could be a liver problem such as Preeclampsia - so this too should be checked.

Dr Owen :

So I would suggest a few simple lab tests such as an Urinanalsysis and blood tests such as Liver function tests.

Dr Owen :

Also, you should get your blood pressure checked too

Customer:

Thanks i do have polycystic kidneys so have been having checkups every few weeks but everything has been fine with the tests, last ones i had done were last week

Dr Owen :

That is good about the kidneys

Dr Owen :

but the concern in pregnancy is that the RIGHT side especially can cause concerns very fast in pregnancy so you should get this checked.

Customer:

thanks for your advise i will arrange another check up tomorrow

Dr Owen :

you are welcome

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you