Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Severe pain on the left side of my face, and behind my left

Severe pain on the left side of my face, and behind my left eye. Seems to start mildly at the top of my shoulder/base of my neck, left side, and then the pain becomes much more severe andtravels up the back of my head into my face. Lasts anything from 20mins, to 1 hour 20 mins. Its been going on for 4 years now. Sometimes I get a few months free, but this time its been with me for several months. Most of these episodes happen about 1 hour after I have gone to sleep, but occasionally when I have been watching t.v.in the evenings, or have been sitting at the table with my elbows on the table. I have been to a Dr. (about 2 years ago) and was sent to Physio. After 2 months of this nothing changed. Would a support collar in the evenings help? I would be very grateful for your thoughts. Carole, aged 71. retired Nursing assistant, and Social Services support worker.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

hi Carole

Dr Owen :

Have you been evaluated for this at all?

Dr Owen :

Have you had a CT scan of your head?

Customer:

what do you mean by evaluated? No scan was offered.

Dr Owen :

When I mean evaluated - have you seen a doctor for this?

Dr Owen :

What type of tests have you had done?

Customer:

I saw a Dr re. this 2 years ago. No tests, other that being examined by Physio.

Dr Owen :

Are you having any vision changes?

Customer:

I wear glasses, and had my eyes checked just before Xmas. Sometimes I feel a pulse-like sensation behind my r.eye, and left eye runs a bit in the mornings. vision good with glasses.

Dr Owen :

Well based on what you have said, this could be a possible problem with MS - Multiple Sclerosis, this could also be a problem with a mass in the brain, or you might have herniated disks in the cervical spine.

Dr Owen :

So what I would suggest is a CT scan of the head first - as this would be able to see if there is anything serious.

Customer:

That sounds as tho I should go to Dr again, and ask for tests. Thank you for your time.

Dr Owen :

I would definitely ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Are you there

Dr Owen :

Hello Carole are you still there?

Dr Owen :

Hello, please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you