Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hello, I unfortunately had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. Had a

Hello, I unfortunately had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. Had a D and E on Thursdsy 27th February. Stopped bleeding straight after the surgery. My husband and I are desperate for a baby and have slept together since on numerous occasion. Taken a pregnancy test today and it is pisitive 1-2 weeks. Is this a new pregnancy or is it the pregnancy hormone still in my system from previous pregnancy?

Your advice would be very much appreciated!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Since it has only been a week since your D&C more than likely this from the previous pregnancy and so you are MORE than likely going to ovulate in about 5 to 10 days from NOW...so that is when I would suggest having intercourse.

Dr Owen :

Also, make sure you are still taking Prenatal vitamins

Dr Owen :

It can take a few weeks for the hormone HCG to drop from a previous pregnancy - so give it some time

Customer: Thank you Dr Owen,
Dr Owen :

Usually within 1 to 2 months your body is back to normal after a D&C so that you should be ovulating and having a period unless you get pregnant before your next period is due

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer: its very difficult as this was my first pregnancy and a lot of people say it's important to wait a cycle before trying again as it could increase the possibility of miscarriage next pregnancy. Is this true?
Dr Owen :

you really do not need to wait

Dr Owen :

and it is VERY COMMON to have a miscarriage for the first pregnancy -

Customer: I was taking pregnacare whilst pregnant so should I continue with this whilst trying?
Dr Owen :

I tell women that many times a miscarriage the first time is like setting up the uterus for the follow on pregnancy to have a normal pregnancy

Dr Owen :

Yes, continue the pregnacare that way you have all the vitamins and minerals you need while trying to get pregnant too - it is good for you and for future pregnancies

Customer: When would you advise doing another pregnancy test from today?
Dr Owen :

do another pregnancy test in about 3 weeks from now - because if the test is positive THEN - then that is a new pregnancy

Customer: I don't understand why everything seems to be baby orientated now as well since I've lost a baby. TV adverts or just having a walk somewhere everything is babies. Why is it I'm more aware? Makes things a lot harder to cope with
Dr Owen :

You are just more sensitive about it - that is all - that is JUST VERY NORMAL for women to go through this stage - there is nothing wrong- very normal

Dr Owen :

You are not alone, millions of women go through this every year - it is just that common - just that no one really talks about it.

Dr Owen :

IN a typical week I probably see about 5 women who are going through the same exact thing in my office - EVERY WEEK

Dr Owen :

so it is very common

Customer: I'm actually a ward sister working on a very high paced ward. Do I need to take things easier to help with a better pregnancy next time.
Dr Owen :

No, you can continue what you are doing.

Dr Owen :

Keeping yourself BUSY is a good thing - it keeps you active and keeps your mind active

Customer: I cannot believe that it is so known to miscarry with 1st pregnancy. It's just difficult as I think it's a stage we go through where we blame ourselves. I don't smoke, drink or take drugs and feel angry with people who do this and still have their babies.
Dr Owen :

Well in a typical day in the world, about 100,000 women have a miscarriage -

Dr Owen :

so it is very common - and as I have said - no one really talks about - so don't think anything is wrong - this is just normal - and 2nd pregnancies usually do very well

Customer: Will it get easier with time. As I feel I have some up days then down days the next so I gather this is probably my hormones maybe?
Dr Owen :

so try not to think about this and just LOOK forward to everything

Dr Owen :

You honestly will NOT really remember this in a few months except for a brief memory -

Dr Owen :

you will get pregnant, have a baby, and it will be just a distant memory - nothing more

Dr Owen :

so KEEP yourself busy and do not dwell on this

Customer: I understand that that's what I need to do, it's just very difficult. Your help and advise has been very encouraging!
Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Good luck on getting pregnant soon

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Have a great day

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer: Thank you very much for your time!
Dr Owen :

you are welcome

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn