Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

So I came on here a while ago complaining of pelvic/vaginal

Customer Question

So I came on here a while ago complaining of pelvic/vaginal pain with lower back pain, I finally made an appointment with my Gp who took a urine sample which was clear, she examined my tummy to feel for any tenderness that seemed okay too. She has give me ibuprofen for the time being and has put it down to a nerve/anxiety pain which can shoot through to your groin area?..I have never heard of this before. Even though my pain is moderate and not too intense I still do not feel at ease? would a urine sample rule out anything more serious?. I do not have any other symptoms e.g abnormal bleeding apart from occasional clear discharge
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Are you on any birth control?

Dr Owen :

Are you sexually active?

Customer:

Neither to both

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

Well what you more than likely have is called Endometriosis- this is a very common problem and usually helped with birth control pills

Dr Owen :

Also, I would make sure you to not have an UTI - Urinary tract infection - as that is a common problem too to see

Customer:

I have given a urine sample which has come back clear

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

Then more than likely this is endometriosis - which is the cells that are normally on the inside of the uterus - then can be a various places around your pelvis and abdomen - and hence cause the problems you have.

Dr Owen :

So the BEST thing to do is to start on a birth control pill - as this should help you tremendously

Customer:

Okay I dont understand why my GP hasnt sent me for an ultra sound though or anything else, she has just felt my stomach and done a urine sample..

Customer:

Is endometriosis a serious problem

Dr Owen :

No it is not a serious problem - and honestly your GP should just put you on a birth control you really do not need an ultrasound -

Customer:

Its very hard to explain but my pain isnt severe enough to stop me carrying out normal tasks its more like lower back pain and some slght discomfort/twinged in my genital area/pelvis

Dr Owen :

yes - and that describes the early stages of endometriosis - so hence going on a birth control - this will Really help you

Customer:

Okay thank you.. I was n birth control pills over 3 years ago but only for a few months never been on anything since..

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

well stay on the birth control and only stop when you want to get pregnant.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer:

Okay many thanks I do feel much better now I kept thinking that there was something terribly wrong... so this condition has no impact on my health?

Dr Owen :

No you should be fine

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer:

okay il schedule an appointment with my GP for this week can they diagnose endomitriosis without an ultra sound? and with the birth control do I just say I want to start using it or will my GP recommend it?

Dr Owen :

Just tell your GP you want to start on a birth control

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

are you there?

Dr Owen :

All we ask for is an Excellent rating for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes I am here

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you today - thank you