Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hey I have been having very light bleeding dark brown almost

Customer Question

Hey I have been having very light bleeding dark brown almost black with gooey discharge for the past 3 weeks? It's frustrating , what's going on?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Do you use anything for birth control?
When had your last normal period started? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have been off birth control for six months, the discharge/ bleeding started 14 days after my last period, we are currently trying to conceive I ovulated (confirmed via blood test) 14 days ago
Have you done a pregnancy test? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't , I just assumed with the bleeding I'm prob not pregnant? Do you reccomemd I do one?
Yes, I think so.

Assuming that you did ovulate 2 weeks ago, it should have brought on a period 14 days later, unless you were pregnant. So if you really ovulated, I suspect that you're pregnant.

The spotting is likely a result of your irregular periods. When a woman has irregular periods, it's often true that the uterine lining builds up a bit, and that can result in bleeding or spotting. Ovulation usually will resolve this, since it causes the hormonal changes that cause the uterine lining to clean off.

In case your pregnancy test (first morning urine) is negative, then I would suspect that either you didn't really ovulate, or else you are pregnant but it's a likely miscarriage. Then I would see your doctor, who can do a blood test for hog to figure out what's really going on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wouldnt a blood test be very accurate in confirming I was in fact ovulating? If I am not pregnant then what should I do?
Assuming the blood test showed elevated progesterone, that's usually good confirmation that you ovulated.

If you're not pregnant, then I would see your doctor to know if you ovulated for sure or not. If not, your doctor can help you to ovulate in the future.

Irregular periods usually mean infrequent ovulation. It's not unusual, and it's the easiest kind of fertility to help, usually using pills for 5 days per month to help induce ovulation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did show elevated progesterone and I am now menstrating, so does this mean I would normally ovulate 14 days before my period starts?
Yes. Ovulation brings on a period about 14 days later, unless you get pregnant.
Since you're menstruating now, it sounds like you did ovulate 14-16 days ago, and that has brought on your period.
The former dark blood was most likely due to the irregular periods, and the fact that the uterine lining builds up too much when there is not regular ovulation and regular period bleeding.
Now you just need to ovulate regularly in the future in order to get pregnant. Your doctor can help with that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou for your help, should I see a regular gp or OB/gyn? , what kinds of pills would you reccomemd?! That will guarantee regular ovulation?
I would check with your gp as to whether he/she is comfortable with prescribing Clomid. Your gp can refer you to an OB/GUN if necessary. Clomid can be taken for 5 days early in a cycle and will usually cause ovulation.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.