Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hello, am a 35 year old woman with 2 children 6plus and 3plus.

Hello, am a 35 year old woman with 2 children 6plus and 3plus. Quite recently, in the last 3 months my period has been taking longer than 5days extending sometimes to 7 or 8days. It also sometimes almost stops on the 5th day and then suddenly flows in clots and heavy even on day 5. Usual trend was it starts and is heaviest on day 2 and 3 and tapers down till day 5 when it finally stops. Also for this month i was 6 days late. I was to have my period on the 3rd but it only started yesterday.

What could be the cause of this?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : Well a period that lasts anywhere from 3 to 8 days is actually considered normal.
Dr Owen : But since there is a change - you might want to look at a few possible causes - but very UNLIKELY there is anything that is worrisome.
Dr Owen : So this could be due to a thyroid condition - and this should be checked, as this is easily treated.
Dr Owen : This could be due to Fibroids and hence this is easily treated too and hence I would suggest looking at that and this is diagnosed using an ultrasound looking at the uterus.
Dr Owen : Also you might have some weight issues, or a polyp, or even stress/ anxiety can all cause these extra bleeding you are having.
Dr Owen : I hope this help
Dr Owen : If you have more questions, please ask
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

weight issues could it be over or under weight? I weigh 62kg and am about 5ft 7inches tall and have a small frame. Also what is a polyp and what type of thyroid condition do you mean? also it si really embarrassing to stain underwear and even places where am sitting when am 35 years old.

Dr Owen : Yes over or under weight
Dr Owen : A polyp is like a blister on a blood vessel
Dr Owen : The thyroid is a gland that affects your hormones
Dr Owen : So getting these checked should help you to find a diagnosis so that you can get properly treated
Dr Owen : and that way you can go back to a NORMAL menstrual period.
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

Ok, thank you.