Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

What might be the causes of irregular periods in a 36yr old

What might be the causes of irregular periods in a 36yr old female. My periods have always been a bit unsettled, they can appear from day 24-32 but have always been between those parameters and have always followed the same bleeding pattern. But for the last 3 months my periods have been REALLY strange 1st appeared on day 37 and was light, the 2nd was on day 36 really heavy and the 3rd on day 26 heavy again and lasting 8 days, when usually they are only 5 days duration. They have been getting a bit stranger for the last year or so, it started me thinking about the peri menopause or something?? But all the females in my family haven't started the menopause until around age 56. Could it be an ovary problem? Ovarian cancer doesn't have these kinds of symptoms does it? I haven't had any of the other symptoms like bloating etc, but it obviously is a concern.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : let me read your question.
Customer: Hello
Dr Owen : irregular periods at your are usually due to stress, anxiety, a thyroid condition, a polyp, or a weight issue either over or under weight, so unlikely this is serious.
Dr Owen : very unlikely ovarian in nature
Customer: ok, thanks. What should I do next?
Dr Owen : i would suggest a pelvic exam to include an ultrasound and a TSH thyroid blood test
Dr Owen : and usually the tests are normal and the treatment t is
Customer: Great. Thanks for your help
Dr Owen : is with a birth control such as the pill or the iud