Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi I have been on the contraceptive pill Microgynon for

I have been on the contraceptive pill Microgynon for about 7 years. I now live in the UAE where this particular pill is not available. But Yasmin is.

I believe there are a couple of other pills too such as Mercelon.

I am just about to have my pill free week and need to purchase my new pills to start taking as soon as my period has finished.

Can you please advise if switching to Yasmin from Microgynon is a good idea and how best to do this? I know everybody is different, I have been fine on microgynon although I do get bloating a lot. I have no history of high blood pressure and I don't smoke.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciative.

Natalie
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

Microgynon is ethinylestradiol and levonorgestrel

Dr. David :

Yasmin is drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol

Dr. David :

these are different hormones.

Dr. David :

I would try to stick with ethinylstradiol

Dr. David :

actually the estrogens are the same in both pills.

Dr. David :

do you know what dose of the microgynon you were on?

Dr. David :

the risks are small changing from one to another

Dr. David :

make sure you don't smoke.

Dr. David :

you can start yazmin after your period is over.

Dr. David :

yes, you start your yazmine just like you take the microgynon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, what I am asking is, how do I transfer to Yasmin, can I begin taking it the day I am due to take my next pill?

Is there any problems with changing to Yasmin from Microgynon?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So would changing to Yasmin be ok? And am I ok to begin taking it after

My next period like I would with Microgynon?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

I would like to know if it is safe to switch from Microgynon to Yasmin. I am having my pill free week at present, and need to begin my next pill next Sunday. Can I start taking Yasmin on that day as I would have done with Microgynon?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

I am Dr Owen, I am an Ob/Gyn and so this was switched to the Ob/Gyn category so I can help you here...

Actually you can Immediately Switch from your pill you were on to Yasmin or any other pill, and AS LONG as you have not had a break from any pill for more than 7 days, YOU are STILL very well protected from getting pregnant.

The Yasmin pill is A very good pill and I like this pill because it helps women with skin problems such as acne very well.

So YES you can very much trust the Yasmin pill - I have my own patients use this all the time.

Please click on Excellent for helping you
that would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Doctor Owen.

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome
Please don't forget to click on Excellent for helping you
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn