Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

Hi, my average menstrual cycle is 28 days. Last started

Hi, my average menstrual cycle is 28 days. Last period started on 9 March. On 25 March I got a lot of watery pinkish discharge which turned red and rather bloody. On 26 March still had pink discharge. Yesterday and today had loads of creamy slightly yellowish odourless discharge with mild to medium cramping. Is this normal? I've heard of hormone level change and all. Would that be more similar to hormones or early pregnancy, or something else? Thank you!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Since you got your last period on the 9th and had the bloody discharge on the 25th, 26th, this is ovulation bleeding. Ovulation usually occurs at around the 14th day after the last period.

The bloody discharge followed by creamy discharge is a sign of ovulation.

At the time of ovulation, there is switchover of a dominant estrogen to a dominant progesterone phase. During this switchover, there may a slight withdrawal bleeding from the endometrium (inner uterine lining). This will show up as a bloody discharge which remains or a day or two.

Since ovulation is followed by a high progesterone level, there may be increased cervical secretion which can show up as a creamy discharge.

The bloody discharge may not be present in all cycles and may occur only occasionally.

This is normal.