Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hello, My mother is 71 and a large 10 cm growth has recently

Customer Question

My mother is 71 and a large 10 cm growth has recently been found in her pelvis. She has had lots of testing an ultrasound, internal, MRI, bloods and has just been called back for a CT scan. She will be getting the results tmrw and is obviously not telling me much as doesn't want to worry me but I have done extensive research and know that there is a very strong chance of cancer due to the size etc. She is in good health generally and is feeling normal. Her symptoms are fullness in the pelvis, slight abdominal discomfort, minor back pain from time to time. She has not loss of appetite etc and feels well in herself. Initially her. gP did blood tests and said that the cancer markers looked within the normal range but obviously she has had more extensive bloods taken since then. Her blood pressure and cholesterol are also raised. I realise that you have not seen her and so can not give me any answers particularly but could you give me the realistic options so I can prepare myself before tomorrow. Many thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

I am very sorry to hear what is going on with your mother. The blood tests are usually inconclusive many times and CT scans are good to find out if there are any lymph nodes involved too.

The size is concerning for a cancer such as an ovarian cancer - unlikely an uterine cancer unless she has been bleeding.

If this is an ovarian cancer - usually with this size this is usually a Stage III cancer which would require surgery to remove this, but also she would require chemotherapy - usually with Cisplatin if necessary -

So I just want you to be prepared for that just in case.

Now, this could just be a simple ovarian cyst - and hence not a cancer too - and then just removing the ovaries and the uterus would be all that is necessary.

I wish you well and the best thing you can do is keep your spirits up

Please click on Excellent for helping you