Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

1995 Hysterectomy .1999 Rectocele and cystocele.1999 Operation

1995 Hysterectomy .1999 Rectocele and cystocele.1999 Operation for adhesions and ovaries and appendix removed.

For 11 months I have had terrible vaginal soreness, burning and now itching and it is making my life hell. I have been prescribed many creams because I had two diagnosis, one of no estrogen and one of eczema but nothing is helping. I tried Coltropfin cream but it seemed to make the soreness worse.
I took estrogen replacement for one year only in 1995 when I had my hysterectomy but it made me feel very nauseous and also I was worried about breast cancer.
I am now 61.
Three weeks ago I went to a gynae who says I definitely have vaginal atrophy there is no eczema and said I was to use oestrogel on my thighs for three weeks in the morning and to put vaseline on the lips at night. Then to stop the oestrogel for 7 days and repeat the process. I know it is only 3 weeks but I am still some days very sore other days it is just bearable. Does it take a long time to work and does it sound like I am on the am I on the correct medication?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

let me read your question

Dr Owen :

Have you used estrogen in the vagina?

Customer:

Yes I used a cream called Coltropfin (I live in Spain) but it seemed to make the burning worse.

Dr Owen :

is that Estrogen - sorry I'm not familiar with that

Customer:

Yes.

Dr Owen :

let me check the ingredients

Customer:

It says promestrieno on the tube

Dr Owen :

ah - that is not the type of estrogen I'm looking for....

Dr Owen :

What you need is something called Estradiol (that is the generic name) -

Customer:

I think estrogel is estradiol?

Dr Owen :

There are a couple of Estrogens that would help - the names areXXXXX or Vagifem - those

Dr Owen :

the estrogel might be.

Dr Owen :

the ingredient needs to say 'Estradiol'

Dr Owen :

Now Estrogen is for Atrophy - so if you are using Estrogen (Estradiol) and it is not helping at all, THEN you need to get a small biopsy because you might have a problem with something called Lichen Sclerosis

Dr Owen :

And to treat Lichen - you need a steroid called Triamcinolone or Clobesterol - these are moderate to high potency steroid creams

Customer:

Yes I have the tube here and it says estradiol. It is a gel an I am putting it on my thighs every morning. I have been checked by a dermatologist for Lichen Sclerosis and had a patch test.

Dr Owen :

why are you putting on your thighs when your vaginal area is having the problems?

Customer:

The gynae told me. On the leaflet it says on your arms, abdomen or thighs.

Dr Owen :

but you are having problems in the vagina correct?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr Owen :

and you have had a culture too for any yeast (fungal/ thrush)?

Dr Owen :

be right back - have to help my daughter for 5 minutes - please do not leave

Customer:

Yes I have had several swabs taken no infection found.

Dr Owen :

I'm back

Dr Owen :

have you tried the estrogen in the vaginal area?

Customer:

You are not allowed to put the oestrogel in the vagina.

Dr Owen :

Well a few things - when you use Estrogen alone - without using progesterone (which you do not need progesterone), estrogen alone actually has proven to decrease risk of breast cancer (only when you add progesterone does it increase the risk).

Dr Owen :

I have all my patients use estrogen in the vagina.

Dr Owen :

Especially that is where the problem is occurring

Dr Owen :

IN fact all the estrogens such as Vagifem, Estrace, and Premarin are all specific for vaginal use

Dr Owen :

I've never heard of using estrogen on the thigh when the problem lies around the vagina

Customer:

Do I need to go back to the gynae.

Dr Owen :

Yes, I would suggest going to a gynecologist - also I would suggest a medication specifically called Vagifem - it is a suppository pill that goes inside the vagina - and this suppository pill is available world wide

Dr Owen :

I think you will find you will have MUCH better results with estrogen applied to the area where the problem is occurring

Customer:

Is this vaginal atrophy treatable ? Is the Vaseline ok to use?

Dr Owen :

vaseline is safe to use

Customer:

Dr Owen :

Atrophy is treatable with estrogen around the vagina

Dr Owen :

ALSO, there is something called Replens - this is a vaginal moisturizer - this is not a prescription - but many women I suggest this to, really like this -

Dr Owen :

so specifically ask your doctor for one of the estrogens I suggested (Vagifem, Estrace or Premarin) and use in the vagina

Dr Owen :

Try the Replens or any other Vaginal Moisturizer

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer:

Dr Owen :

you are very welcome

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn