Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Good morning, I am very concerned about my current condition.

Good morning,

I am very concerned about my current condition. I am 54, am in menopause which commenced in earnest when I was 51. I'm uncertain as to exactly how long my discharge has been wrong as the menopause affects one's judgement and expectation. However, it's less than 1 year but at least 6 months. I noticed that my discharge was turning darker and it has progressively become sort of khaki - almost catarrh like and sometimes quite profuse. I have always been very pro-active regarding my health so I went to my doctors in November 2013 and asked them to do a full spectrum analysis of a cervical smear. I moved to Lincolnshire from London recently so I'm new to this practise - which is unnerving - and I'm worried that they have overlooked a potential serious concern. I told the doctor that I was worried about the symptoms being equatable to cervical erosion (which I had in my 20's and had cone biopsy) cervical/endometrial cancer. He said if there were any concerns they would inspect further after the tests. No one called me for 3 weeks so I called the surgery who said "Oh no - there's nothing to worry about- all the tests were clear so we didn't call". Normal time/money saving practise for nhs, I'm guessing. However, I did mention it again to a nurse when I was next in the surgery (I look after my 87 year old parents full time so I'm there a lot) and asked her directly about the discharge and my concerns re my age etc. I also explained [ to both doctor & nurse] that I'd had a coil in for a year when I was 46 and it was very poorly put in and difficult to remove - so there could be a vulnerability there? She said it was probably just a 'menopausal' thing and that non-of the cancer signs had flagged up on the smear or blood test.
However, it has not gone away and now there is just a tinge of blood sometimes if I feel inside my vagina. I also have a pain on my lower left pelvis - which could just be a coincidental muscle pull but it has set me into panic mode - as you can imagine. I am now researching on line and found this site.
I have no other symptoms. the discharge does not smell and I have no itching, burning or problems with my bladder etc. I am not tired, nor do I have any weight or appetite loss/gain/bloating etc.
My intention is to get a speedy appointment on Monday and request an urgent appointment with a gynecologist. I have private cover and will travel as necessary to get the best treatment. FYI my post code is DN15 0AP. I know the medical world spins in & around London but if there is someone North FYI my post code is DN15 0AP.
I am concerned that the doctor may delay me further - they seem less than cutting edge at this surgery - do I have to go via a GP or can I book direct with a specialist? I really just want to take expert & specialist advice asap.
Thank you for your time, and please could you advise me in any way you see fit - and recommend a gynecologist?
Ali Newell
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Is there an odor?

Dr Owen :

Do you still have your uterus and ovaries?

Customer:

No

Dr Owen :

no to which question

Dr Owen :

you have a VERY LONG question

Dr Owen :

I need to read more

Customer:

No odour, yes I have all my parts!

Customer:

Please take time to read it all, I'll wait

Dr Owen :

When was your last pap and what was the result?

Customer:

They did a pap in that november visit and they told me it was normal

Dr Owen :

First - on this site I am an ob/gyn - but we are here for information only - we do not treat, nor do we prescribe anything - I just want you to understand that

Customer:

I do - I am just panicking at my own 'self diagnosis' which I know can be dangerous - but as I said, I am proactive in my health care and don't trust this new surgery.

Dr Owen :

And since your PAP was normal not long ago - then that tells me you do NOT have a cervical cancer

Dr Owen :

so I will say that again - you do not have cervical cancer

Customer:

What might it be, please?

Dr Owen :

Now, this discharge - this is NOT indicative of uterine cancer either - as uterine cancer bleeding is BRIGHT RED bleeding - you do not have that

Dr Owen :

so, I just wanted to CALM your thoughts down first

Customer:

No - and thank you - you have me sussed :0)

Dr Owen :

So what you have is Atrophy - this is thinning of the skin of the vaginal tissue and even the uterine tissue too - because your estrogen levels are decreasing -

Dr Owen :

If you have an odor that is fairly common too

Dr Owen :

Now, since this has been going on for awhile - unlikely this is an infection too -

Customer:

I wondered that - but the discharge is horrid - what can be done about it and what the heck is it? I feel 'dirty'.

Dr Owen :

Now, to help I use an Estrogen suppository called Vagifem - this can be used twice weekly to help

Dr Owen :

when you say horrid - odorous meaning?

Customer:

I have no odour at all - never have

Dr Owen :

okay that is what I thought you said originally

Dr Owen :

well when the skin/ tissue get thin - it sloughs off - hence you get this discharge

Dr Owen :

you can try a few Over the counter products first

Dr Owen :

1. Replens - or any other vaginal moisturizer

Customer:

It's just yucky looking, [forgive detail] dries into my pubic hair and is not nice sexually

Dr Owen :

2. Also a Probiotic that helps with the pH - such as RepHresh

Dr Owen :

3. But you might just need the Estrogen suppository called Vagifem to finall help

Customer:

I'n not at all dry - and still very 'sexy' - my drive has not fallen - yet

Dr Owen :

I understand the horrendousness of this

Customer:

Dr Owen :

you are ver welcome

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you today

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer:

Should I see a gynecologist or a doc at the surgery who is one?

Dr Owen :

I would see a gynecologist for this - this is WHAT we do

Dr Owen :

Gynecologists ARE surgeons

Customer:

Ok. I'll arrange that asap. But just to confirm - from what I've written you really don't think cancer is likely - and I understand you can't be certain in this forum - but you wouldn't say I should be concerned unduly?

Dr Owen :

so if the surgeon is a gynecologist - either is fine

Dr Owen :

NO not a cancer -

Dr Owen :

I know the Internet can be quite scary - try not to read too much into the internet

Customer:

My own mind is more dangerous - probably - a little knowledge, as they say...

Dr Owen :

yes true

Dr Owen :

it is like a First Year Medical Student - they all think they have every disease they read about - until they get a bit more educated

Customer:

Thank you for your help. Cheerio.

Dr Owen :

you are welcome

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent before you leave

Dr Owen :

that would be appreciated

Dr Owen :

thank you