Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

Hi -I am post menopausal for almost 18 years now.About 15yrs

Customer Question

Hi -I am post menopausal for almost 18 years now.About 15yrs ago I had pre-cancerous cells removed from the neck of my cervix.The last 2 cervical smears have proved inconclusive due to lack of cells provided-it seems that I have a minor prolapse which made it difficult to carry out the procedure effectively.Now I have a discharge from my vagina which is greenish in colour with a slight acidic odour.
I hope you can help me with a diagnosis as I am quite worried that I may have developed something sinister and getting an appointment with my GP is a long drawn out request
Many thanks Patricia
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well given you are in menopause - actually it is quite normal not to have many cells for the PAP smear test -

Dr Owen :

and hence it is VERY Unlikely that you are pregnant

Dr Owen :

sorry - that last statement on pregnant - was meant for someone else

Dr Owen :

So with a discharge - this sounds like you have an infection combined with Atrophy -

Dr Owen :

so I would suggest a few things.

Dr Owen :

First the infection is probably BV _ Bacterial Vaginosis - this is just an overgrowth of your normal vaginal bacteria - and this can be helped by using a Probioitc with Lactobaccillis acidophilus - one type is called RepHresh. And, you might need an antibiotic called Flagyl or Cleocin too.

Dr Owen :

Next, for the Atrophy - using an Estrogen suppository pill twice per week in the vagina - one type is called Vagifem.

Dr Owen :

So, I do NOT think you need to worry about anything sinister - so you can relax.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

I see you saw my answe

Dr Owen :

Please Type the word "Excellent" that would be fair, thank you

Dr Owen :

.